Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been working up the dope on my m/41B, which has piqued my interest in the information on these rifles in general. I have not seen a translation of the "Handling" section of "Beskrivning av Gevär m/41 B" anywhere on the net, so I knocked out this translation. It is not exact; there are a couple of things that I don't quite understand, and I took some small liberties in the translation, but here it is. Input welcome. There are some interesting things here, i.e. apparently there was a cover for the mount base when the scope wasn't installed.

Handling

MOUNTING THE SCOPE
When mounting the scope, ensure that the base tension pin sits in the tension arm recess. Then press the mount and tension arm firmly forward. The front of the mount should be in contact with the set screw on the base. The mount should not be so tight that it cannot be released with the tension arm. If the mount becomes stuck, one may not strike the scope mount to release it. Instead, place a chisel, strong knife, bayonet,etc. between the mount base rail and the mount body and carefully pry the mount loose.
For the accuracy to be good, the mount must bear against the base set screw from the first shot. The set screw is adjusted by ordnance personnel. Dirt in the scope mount complicates attachment of the scope and degrades the accuracy of the rifle.
As a rule, the telescopic sight is taken off and stored in its case before moving. The scope may be attached to the mount base only when directed. The cover must be fitted to the base when the telescopic sight has been removed.

ADJUSTING THE RANGE AND FOCUS
When the range is set, rotation of the telescopic sight range scale ends clockwise. This avoids the effect of any backlash.
Adjustment of visible focus (ocular adjustment ring) is made so that the shooter gets a clear picture of the target.

ZEROING
The rifle is zeroed using the m/94 6.5mm cartridge with the m/41 projectile at a range of 300 meters.
The elevation is adjusted so that the mean point of impact is within a circle of 10 cm maximum radius and center as shown below.
For the telescopic sight: Point of aim
For the open sights: 30 cm (1 streck) over the point of aim.
Zeroing is done using support bags, and without the sling.
A slightly lower impact point is usually obtained when shooting in the prone position using the sling. Deviations of impact point due to the rifleman’s sight picture, time influences,etc., should first be corrected by selecting another point of aim. If the impact point differential is so great that the shot position must be changed, adjustments shall be made with the help of ordnance personnel who have been specially trained with the rifle. Any such adjustments may also be made after the firing of a single shot, if he is able to utilize that particular shot impact. Rifles zeroed for a particular shooter will be so marked. These rifles will be returned to the normal zero atthe end of the training course.

CARE
When using a sniper rifle with telescopic sight it is to be considered that the weapon is a delicate precision instrument that it must be handled and maintained with care.
Strong temperature fluctuations should be avoided,as these may cause fogging of the lenses inside the telescope. Excessive heat should be avoided, namely, the heat can destroy the lenses cementing. Otherwise, the rules for the care of the materiel are foundin SoldI Mtrl.

AMMUNITION
Only sk ptr m/94 prj m/41 – sharpshooting ammunition – may be used.
The weapon may not be used for shooting blanks.

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,595 Posts
Good job on the translation . I cannot translate any Swedish text myself & I do not think there is a translation on the internet anywhere . In the 57 years since the book was written , there are probably some differences in the language . I have never heard of a cover on the sniper base . Just reading between the lines , I think it may mean it was important to keep the scope & mount in it's can while off the rifle ????????

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Swede,

Thanks. I used Google Translate for most of it. Pretty neat stuff, and suprisingly intuitive. I certainly agree that language has probably changed a bit.

Reading between the lines: Perhaps, but they had already addressed the need for the scope being in the can earlier in that paragraph. Maybe it was something that was in the works but was never actually issued, much like the kindstöd.

Cheers,

Dave

·
9,595 Posts
You are probably right , but at least there is a picture of the cheek rest in the book , even though not adopted . Maybe someone in Sweden can translate the meaning . Can you post the exact sentence ?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
How about "When the telescopic sight is off (the rifle) a protective plate shall be attached on the base (dovetail mount?).

I can see having a small plate with a dovetail slot in it to protect the dovetail of the base of the mount on the rifle so that the dovetail does not get dinged.

·
9,595 Posts
That is a good theory ! A dinged up dovetail would be bad for accuracy , but no such device is known at this point in time . Could be made of metal or leather ?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
You bet. "När kikarsiktet är avtaget skall laxfotens skyddsplåt vara påsatt".
Google translate is "When the telescopic sight is off the ( laxfotens) protective plate to be attached".

Since it states "plate" my guess is that it is a hard object such as metal or plastic rather than a soft object such as leather.

Unfortunately, the key word, "laxfotens" does not come up on the translator. From this, it might be possible that this is a specific word for Military use, rather than one used in general conversation. This would make the translation as follows:

"When the telescopic sight is off (the rifle or the base mount), the .......................protective plate (is) to be attached."

I love these little puzzles. Anyone have access to a Swedish Military Terminology Dictionary? Anyone in Sweden have a funny looking plate with a dovetail in it that they are puzzled over?

·
Registered
615 Posts
"laxfotens"= fish tail, like our dovetail. To my knowledge there is nothing about a cover plate or tool for the dovetail but I bet that Arilar is going thru the Swedish Military Parts Catalog as we speak? We may translate it to close to the English translation. It may just mean that the dovetail plate should be protected (kept in a cleaned condition) to ensure the function???

·
9,595 Posts
box : You may be correct , as the same word " laxfotens " is used in another paragraph where they are stamping the serial number on it , showing a photo of the base with a number on it .

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The April '63 m/41B Vapendetaljer printed in Schinke's book shows the nomenclature for the base assembly (base, pin, mounting screws, and set screw) as "hållare", and the base by itself as the "laxfot". I don't know why I didn't reference that before.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.