Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been aware of this Forum for a number of years and have consulted it numerous times. I'm a newbie, here but not to firearms.

I have what I believe is an M 41 Swedish sniper rifle with the AGA m44 scope. If I read things correctly, this rifle was built on an 1896 Carl Gustafs, Mauser pattern rifle with the serial number 810. I believe the rifle has matching numbers all around.

I grew up in Toronto, Ontario, Canada and my father had us shooting .22's by the age of 10. I had qualified as an NRA Sharpshooter 1st Class by the age of 13.

In 1975 (I did the math on this; I was working at "Sam the Record Man" on Yonge Street) I bought my Swedish sniper at a gun shop on Yonge Street where I had purchased other rifles.

I have, to this day, never actually fired the rifle. It has come out of storage twice within the last three years (the rifle is currently in British Columbia, about three hours north of Spokane, WA) as I have entertained selling it. Both times, I was using my brother as an agent for my interest. One time was at a gun show where he sold an old Lend/Lease No 4 Mk.1 Lee Enfield made by Savage Arms in Chicopee, MA for me but the Swede didn't sell because nobody wanted it at the price I was asking. The last time was a little over a week ago when someone who had seen a '95 Spanish Mauser carbine (7 x 57mm) that my brother was showing for me at the same gun show three years previously had expressed a wish to buy it. The carbine had impressed him enough to enquire after it three years later.

I told him about the Swede and allowed as how I was willing to part with both the Spaniard and the Swede if he wished to buy both of them. He wanted to see them.

I put a deal together that I thought was irresistible but he low balled me.

So, I would like to find out exactly what I have. My brother will be taking some photographs of both rifles and I will post those of the Swede here, later.

I can say, safely, that I have not fired the weapon, nor taken it apart, messed with it in any way since I brought it home from the gun shop...what I bought, in 1975, is what it is now. The rifle has had intermittent care and is just shy of minty. The scope has a bit of shade but not really milky. The stock is almost surely beech. The cleaning rod is just too big for the bore; so is not correct for the rifle.

The stock disk is a grey metal and has some "K" reference. I realize any real help may have to come after real pictures have been supplied.

My father got us into the gun world (he was the gunnery officer on a Corvette in WW2 for the RCNVR) as he knew it would get us interested in specifications, design parameters and HISTORY. I can tell I'm in the right place and I will thank the membership, in advance, for what comes next.

Thanks, Tim.

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,135 Posts
You are missing a dowel pin . That makes me believe someone has taken it apart since it left Sweden . No reason for the Swedes to leave out the dowel pin . Looks legit from what I see in the photos . What markings are on the scope ?

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,013 Posts
I can't get any of this to open ???

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is the pin issue on the mounting rail...it looks like the forward dowel pin is missing?

·
9,135 Posts
That is a 3 m/m dowel pin . You can probably get one from a local hardware store . You will have to grind it to the correct length before pressing it in .

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,013 Posts
I can see these.

Here's what I'm getting on the others.

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's funny, thinking back.

I bought the rifle when I was 17 years old and I was just getting out in the world. Not all that long after I purchased the rifle I went off on my own and I wound up living in the United States (Rhode Island). Shooting became less important to me.

I would care for my rifles when I went back to Canada...about once a year or every other year. I got a gun safe when the firearms laws in Canada required that.

As things worked out, I never even fired that rifle. I never had a screwdriver on it or messed with it EVER.

When my dad got a little too old, my brother took all of the family firearms out west, to his home in British Columbia.

I figure I won't fix anything on this rifle. A new owner can take it on as a project.

My brother may test fire it to see how it prints...would it be bad to shoot it with that pin missing?

·
9,135 Posts
It is possible the base could move some from recoil ????????? If you are going to sell , let the new owner do the fixing & shooting .

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I thought best to send it along, as is, to a new owner. Then, I thought...test it to make sure things are correct; so no disappointment.

All of this is why I wanted to get opinions, here, where there are so many informed perspectives.

I suppose, upon reflection, that the rifle should be checked, visually, to ascertain if there is a hole in the receiver that allows the forward dowel, right?

·
9,135 Posts
Yes . A paper clip can tell that , but there should be a hole through the receiver . Just pull the bolt back & see if there are 5 holes or something in 4 of the 5 holes .

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have asked my brother to have a look over the inside wall of the receiver to see what is there. Maybe we will get a photo.

I always assumed that the rifle was correct and the result of Swedish arsenal modification, only. The dowel thing is a twist...

The only thing that I thought might be an issue was the secondary, and empty, holes in the mounting rail for locking screws that are obviously missing.

One thing is clear...the screws on the mounting rail have not been monkeyed with (the forward one looks a bit marred?).

·
9,135 Posts
In the later period , the arsenals did not always use the locking screws . In the "B" model snipers , the screw heads were staked into the extra hole beside it . Kind of messy looking , but it is correct .

Attachments

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got the word, and a picture from my brother...there is a missing dowel.

The picture isn't that great, but he said there were 5 holes in the receiver and one was NOT filled...it MUST be the forewardmost, as we could see it empty on the mounting rail.

I wonder how it went missing? Swede says it's a press fit.

·
9,135 Posts
I do not think the Swedish armorer missed the dowel pin . More than likely someone outside of the military has messed with the base & removed it . Put it back & lost the dowel ?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That would seem to be the only logical explanation.

I was trying to work it through seeing if the receiver had not been bored out for the pin at all...like a factory error...unlikely as these rifles were clearly selected and purposed for the scopes.

Swede, may I ask you how this issue might affect the value of this rifle to a collector?

·
9,135 Posts
I doubt the missing dowel pin would kill a deal to buy the sniper rifle . An easy fix with a 3 m/m dowel pin . I do not know that you can put a price on a missing dowel . Maybe a dollar in a hardware store ?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts