Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. New to the Finn's. Wanting to know what should I expect to pay for a decent, to ok condition m/28 shooter. I'd like to experience a decent version of a Mosin, just for curiosities sake.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
M27'S....$350 and up

M28's....$300 and up--normally in the $400 range for a nice example, there getting pretty hard to find lately--they have dried up which is expected by the numbers that survived.

M28/30's--shew....Better start at $450 and expect to pay $600 + for a nice one.

Sure there are higher and lower prices--but this is just a "general" statement for average condition guns.

BAF

·
Registered
535 Posts
Might want to check out a m39, since they are still sorta available and priced a bit more reasonable.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Go for the M39. If you find the right places, they can be had for around $200. You shouldnt pay more than $300 for an average one. They are great shooters!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what is exactly the differences between all 3? All I'm really lookin' for is inherent accuracy. With good off the shelf ammo, will they get the job done within 200m?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
what is exactly the differences between all 3? All I'm really lookin' for is inherent accuracy. With good off the shelf ammo, will they get the job done within 200m?
Hell Yes!!! :D :D :D

·
Platinum Bullet Member
967 Posts
Well...lets put it this way...the M39 sights were originally calibrated to "zero" at 200 meters. At 100 meters you typically start with a 6 o'clock hold and sight in from there. Put an Accumounts M39SOV mount & scope on it, you're out to 400+ meters easily.

My experience, one of the finest shooting rifles in existance milsurp or modern.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
534 Posts
A lot depends on location. M27s used to be easy to find in the SE. I'm kind of with boltactionsforever, but for the SE would reverse the prices on M27s and M28s. M28s were a lot harder to find in Georgia than M27s. I saw one M27 that I think finally went for $275 at a show last week. Not a prime one, but a decent war horse. I think the asking price was $350, offered to me for $300. I have not see an M28 for less than $300 for a long time. I can't say for M28/30s. Mine were mismarked as M39s, and I stole them.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see. I know I'm wantin' a free lunch, but I was hopin something, anything finn, for under 250. I suppose I'm dreamin' lol. Ahh well, I got 8 months till I get back home to look.

All I want, is a decent rifle to experiment with, and to have as a shooter for anything that may come. I know a factory modern day bolt gun will outshoot milsurps, but I never liked modern stuff. Older military rifles are more durable, and easier to maintain than this new stuff. You can drop them down the stairs, and nothing's going to happen to them. Plus they have a lot of history and personality to them.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I see. I know I'm wantin' a free lunch, but I was hopin something, anything finn, for under 250. I suppose I'm dreamin' lol. Ahh well, I got 8 months till I get back home to look.

All I want, is a decent rifle to experiment with, and to have as a shooter for anything that may come. I know a factory modern day bolt gun will outshoot milsurps, but I never liked modern stuff. Older military rifles are more durable, and easier to maintain than this new stuff. You can drop them down the stairs, and nothing's going to happen to them. Plus they have a lot of history and personality to them.
www.gunsnammo.com

Wide variety of prices and conditions. Got my first (but not last) m39 from her.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok. I seen that some finns don't require ANY license to ship to your door. Why.
How do they get around that.
And how does the CMP get around that as well? I have a carbine coming to my front door, with no license required. How do some people get away with that. If this is possible, why does century and j&g and all of those guys just ship direct?

·
Diamond Bullet member
5,534 Posts
I'm not an attorney, but this is how I understand the answers your questions.

Ok. I seen that some finns don't require ANY license to ship to your door. Why.
How do they get around that.
And how does the CMP get around that as well? I have a carbine coming to my front door, with no license required. How do some people get away with that. If this is possible, why does century and j&g and all of those guys just ship direct?
Receiver made in 1898 or earlier = antique and can be shipped directly to purchaser providing they are legally able to own a long gun.

Unmodified rifle or pistol 50 years old or older = curio and relic and can be shipped directly to federally licensed collector. License application available from the BAFTE. Other firearms less than 50 years old are also C&R eligible; the list is available online. This is not a license to engage in the business of buying and selling eligible firearms.

My guess is that the CMP's charter grants them permission to ship directly to qualified purchasers. Their requirements are about the same as those required to get a Collector's of Curios and Relics License. In some locations the wait is also similar.

All other firearms require a transfer through a Federal Firearms Licensee, licensed to be in the business of selling firearms.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts