Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JPS
Posted - 10/22/2006 : 12:11:36 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yo Gents,

I have been looking for a "MADE IN ITALY" marked Model 1870/87 Vetterli-Vitali for a long time now and thought I would offer a reward, per say! I will be happy to pay $200 to anyone who can locate an unaltered example for sale. These rifles are marked with 1950's vintage "MADE IN ITALY" stamps that are found on top of the barrel underneath the rear sight leaf.

I found one about five years ago, but someone had carved a large set of unsightly initials in the side of the stock! Had the initials been vintage, I would have bought the rifle, but sad to say they were a recent addition!

If any of you have a Vetterli that is marked in this fashion, I will be happy to pay top dollar plus a premium, providing that it is correct and unaltered! Any and all information is greatly appreciated. Whether or not this will work, I haven't got a clue, but I though it might set an extra pair of eyes or two searching on my behalf!

Thank you in advance for your help with this request!

Warmest regards,
JPS

TipTop
Posted - 10/22/2006 : 05:11:34 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not to tease you but I have one, "Made in Italy" and also a French Gras with same type of marking "Made in France". Both have Russian markings as well. My understanding is these went to Spain via Russia during the Spainish civil war. Good Luck in your quest and I hope your post produces one for you.

JPS
Posted - 10/22/2006 : 08:18:38 AM
Yo TipTop,

Exactly and the ONLY reason I would pay a premium for an otherwise inexpensive and fairly common rifle.

I have three Russian marked Gras rifles, four Russian marked Gras bayonets and a Mle 1878/84 French Kropatchek that is Russian marked. I simply have never managed to find a Russian issued Vetterli with the exception of the example I mentioned with the butchered stock. I have about 90% of the various rifles that the Russians used on the Eastern Front. One of the examples I lack is the Vetterli.

I figured that I have nothing to lose but a little additional cash if a finder’s fee ends up aiding my search. If I find one and pay a little bit extra, so much the better so long as I find one!

In the meantime, I'll check with the seller of every example I come across to check for the telltale import mark from Spain that is the dead give away on these rifles.

I am glad that you have found an example for your collection and would hardly consider you mentioning this as teasing me. Believe me I have more than enough rifles that other folks don’t have that have taught me not to be envious of others and am very happy that there are other collectors in the same position. There are certainly enough collectible rifles to go around. Besides, if they were all easy to find it would take a lot of the fun out of the hunt! Thank you for chiming in.

Warmest regards,

JPS

dg13
Posted - 10/22/2006 : 5:44:44 PM
OK I'll offer $205!! (just kidding) I'll bet you still have the Russian Gras I sold you a long time ago! I've seen other GRAS marked 'MADE IN FRANCE' that had NO russian marks on them at all. I've only run into one Vetterli marked like that (and it was russian--unfortunately it was not for sale). Have a happy!
dg13

JPS
Posted - 10/22/2006 : 8:07:31 PM
Make it $210! :-D

Hey Darrell,

How you doing Bud? Yes, I still have that rifle and enjoy it very much, having added two additional carbon copies to my collection since then, both of which are Russian marked, but only one of which is marked "MADE IN FRANCE". Some of these weapons made their way out of Russia through avenues other than the Spanish Civil War, perhaps right after WWI during the fighting with Poland?

The Russian marked Mle 1874 Gras bayonets were inspected at Systroryetsk and have an "arrow" stamped in the brass pommel inside the mounting slot.

Yes, I was excited when I was contacted about the Russian marked Vetterli right up until I saw the photo of the butchered stock! I was totally bummed!

However, unlike your experience Darrell, I have come across at least five or six to which I can now add TipTops. They are out there, it's just that not very many folks know how to ID them. That's why I figured I would try this approach. Who knows? It brought TipTop out of the woodwork and even if he doesn't want to sell, it adds another example to the group of IDed rifles.

Thank you for chiming in! Your opinions, knowledge and insight are always welcome!

Warmest regards,

JPS

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.