Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone please tell me about these.
One is available in a store near me.

Appears to be made from a US GI receiver and is new looking, .308 cal.
Is $625. too much?
All the ones I have shot were unreliable in feeding or ejection.
Thought I might enjoy a new toy for a while and trade it eventually.
I don't see any for sale to compare it to.
I hope this is is the correct place to ask this!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Tanker Garand

That is about the going rate for a rebuilt Garand. Be aware that real tanker Garands are as rare as hen's teeth, and they are always in .30-06, never .308. Frankly, I would pass on this Garand, unless the short barrel feature just fascinates you. It is only a replica.

LLS

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The two I saw both had bad headspace and shot like shyte. I would avoid at all cost, except if you can get it cheap enough just for the receiver.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I agree with LLS and hagar! Your money would be far better spent on a standard full sized Garand. Most tankers I have seen don't feed all that well and are not very accurate. Most are not original, and are standard Garands that have been converted over using "tanker kits" that were just slapped on by a novice.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,124 Posts
I had one back in the early '90s. i was never so happy as the day I sold it. It was a problem from the first shot.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Tanker Garands

Years ago when they first came on the market, two of my friends bought one each. They did not keep them long. Both guns malfunctioned a lot, and as I remember, the operating rod keep coming out of one when it was shot. A friend bought a completely original wwii garand at a show last weekend for $700. Best Wishes

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've had 2 of the Springfield built Tankers. One was okay and shot fairly well, the other was a POS.

The one I have now is a custom build on a Winchester action with all NM parts by Fulton Armory. It will hold a 2-3" group at 200 yards. Never had a failure of any kind. The draw back is that the guy that I bought it from paid nearly $1700 to have it built. I got it for $800.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Agreed, if done right they can be very nice...but they are not cheap to get right.

Roland Beaver of Old Corps Weaponry in Arkansas does some real beauties that WORK and SHOOT, but like Ron's Fulton job it wouldn't be cheap to build. I would steer clear of any that wasn't made by him or somebody like Clint at Fulton Armory that knows what the heck they are doing.

Roland said on another forum that after one of his shorty Garands was written up in a Gun magazine in the early nineties he was slammed for a long time with orders and it took years to catch up. He said it was a double edged sword of sorts...it takes time to do one right.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,705 Posts
I have one done by Arlington Ordinance in the 1990s which I got back then. A nice rifle,
reliable and accurate, I like it fine, a keeper.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts