Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was finally able to take my recently aquired from the CMP M-1 Garand out to a friend's range and get it "baptised" this weekend.

I've discovered several things:

1) It is just as much fun to shoot as I remembered it from 1960.

2) The entire sight is extremely loose. When first firing it, all hits on the target (25 meters) kept walking down the target, until I noticed that the sight was so loose it was FALLING down. I tightened the screw that passes through the sight from left to right, by tightening the split-nut on the RIGHT (azimuth) side of the sight. When I got it tight enough so that the sight wouldn't move by pressing on the top of it, then I couldn't turn either adjusting knob. Furthermore, even though the sight was tight vertically, it was wobbling around. So, are there kits to replace all this loose stuff? If so, where does one buy those? Is a special tool required to work on the sight?

After fixing these problems with the sight (temporarily), I and a friend were able to put all the remaining shots practically into one hole...but this was at 25 meters. I remember that in basic training at Fort Ord in 1960 (when I could still SEE) I had no trouble hitting a man-sized target at 600 meters, so I know the rifle is capable of good accuracy.

3) Twice, after the first two or three, or a few more, rounds were fired, the entire clip would eject WITH the remaining unfired rounds. In one case, 5 unfired rounds were ejected WITH the clip. What could possibly be the reason for this? I never experienced such a thing when I was in the Army in 1960.

BTW, the bore is excellent, as is the crown. The rifle appears to me to be in excellent condition, other than the sight.

Any suggestions?

· Silver Bullet member
1,602 Posts
You have I believe a weak clip latch spring. http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=407810

Or your clip latch is worn. Both of these can cause the clip to eject prematurealy. There are kits available to fix the sight, but it has been too long since I saw who had them. Numerich also list the parts but I didn't look to see if they were sold out or not. HTH, Matt

· Registered
73 Posts
The entire sight is extremely loose. When first firing it, all hits on the target (25 meters) kept walking down the target, until I noticed that the sight was so loose it was FALLING down. I tightened the screw that passes through the sight from left to right, by tightening the split-nut on the RIGHT (azimuth) side of the sight. When I got it tight enough so that the sight wouldn't move by pressing on the top of it, then I couldn't turn either adjusting knob. Furthermore, even though the sight was tight vertically, it was wobbling around. So, are there kits to replace all this loose stuff? If so, where does one buy those? Is a special tool required to work on the sight?
Don't go replacing parts yet. First go to the CMP website and check out the assembly-disassembly instructions there. It will tell you how to adjust your rear sight for proper tension after you get it back together.

You may need a new spring cover to help hold tension on the aperture OR you can bend it back to a point that it will hold downward tension on the internals. There will still be some play if you grab the aperture with your fingers and try to wiggle it.... normal.

Twice, after the first two or three, or a few more, rounds were fired, the entire clip would eject WITH the remaining unfired rounds. In one case, 5 unfired rounds were ejected WITH the clip. What could possibly be the reason for this? I never experienced such a thing when I was in the Army in 1960.
Remove the clip latch and stretch the spring a bit. If this solves the problem you will be good to go until the spring relaxes again. At that point you will want to replace it with a new one.

Good luck and best regards,
Swampy

Garands forever

· Registered
6,024 Posts
CMP will fix all issues - at no cost to you. Can call or email them for help. Sounds like you will need a new sight cover and clip latch spring. Since the CMP will give you parts - no need to try stretching clip latch spring (although will probably fix).

If you dont feel that you can swap parts - can return rifle (again at no charge ) for repair.

CMP is a great organization. A defective rifle slips through every once-in-awhile, but they will make it right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.