Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
124 Posts
I dunno, but the one I sent back last year had the old-style CAI import mark on the barrel, indicating it was most certainly NOT "a small batch of imports recently approved" as their advertising indicated.

It was absolutely bone dry, wood and metal. Had it been cheaper (much cheaper), it MIGHT have made a good project rifle, but lifting the wood revealed massive pitting on the exterior of the barrel in the chamber area and all up and down the receiver under the wood line and that was the last straw for me

I see just now they're putting their Garands up at $430 and hinting that they need TLC. Yah... ya think? ;)

Buyer beware... I'd be willing to bet a rack grade CMP rifle would be in better shape, but at $430, they might be decent projects?

·
Silver Bullet member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I purchaed two of them at $429 each and received them yesterday. Both receivers look good and would is dark but solid. The bores on both are dark. I think both will be fireable with clean up. one is a 1943 Springfield and the the 1944 Springfield. For the price I think they are ok.

·
Silver Bullet member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here are a few more pics . I purchased two them and have stripped them both, no pitting under wood. One of the rifles has some light frosting in the bore and the other has a shiny bore. I think for the price I did very well. SOG says these are from Korea, I dont know. The wood on both is dark and I can find no cartouche (sp). What do you guys think? Ok for $429 each?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Gotta Wonder?

Those M1's in the pic's look like a decent deal.
Is there anything official from SOG , CAI , or anybody else about the country of origin or year of import on these Garands. The thing is , sales clerks are just as vunerable to rumors as anybody else. Some people have very active imaginations and others will say anything to make a sale . For example : " These Garands are from South Korea -- lots better than those total loss, rusted-out POS from South America that we have been trying to sell for the last 5 or 6 years".

I also gotta wonder if SOG saw the light ( finally ) , so they dropped their prices and sorted through their product . Then started selling the best of the batch at competitive prices. It's hard to tell from the pic's but it's possible that some of those rifles have been reparked or touched up with cold blue ( or whatever).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.