Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if this is the right forum for this or not but here goes. What are the opinions of this rifle? I've researched it a bit and seen several videos on youtube with this rifle and it has peaked my interest. That being said I also want and 1873 Winchester replica and at this moment don't know which I want more. Also bear in mind I know these are very different rifles for very different tasks and neither are a need, just strong wants, thanks in advance.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,192 Posts
Not a fan of the Italian guns, this opinion is based on owning a storefront gun shop for a few months shy of 25 years. First is resale value, buy a Italian made Sharps keep it a few years and sell it. You will get a lot less than you paid. Buy an American made Sharps keep it the same time frame you will get more of your money back and may even make a little. The American made Sharps is superior in the fit and finish department also in the after sale support. I also feel the American made Sharps have more accurate barrels than the Italians, but I will say both will shoot better than I am capable of shooting. You can purchase a C Sharps 1875 target rifle for around $1400, not many Italians at that price. A 1874 from Shiloh or C Sharps will run $2000 and up but close in price to a similar Pedersoli. As far as the 1878 Lyman goes it is not even close to a real 1877, if you want I can tell you the difference as I have stocked a 1878 and have in stock currently a American Made 1877.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,192 Posts
As far as the 73 copy goes there are not many options. You can go with the Italian made gun or the Japanese made Winchester. The only other options would be a Turnbull made 1886 or the new Henry made by Henry both of these I have never handled so I cannot say if they are worth the extra $$ . I have had the Italian lever guns on and off for years in the shop and have never had any issues with them other not liking the fit and finish and the funky walnut that is used.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts