Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried posting this on the big bore and Winchester forums without much luck, and I don't know if this is the right forum for this or not either. I know it's obviously not a Winchester or repeating levergun but it is an old west type so here goes. What are the opinions of this rifle? I've researched it a bit and seen several videos on youtube with this rifle and it has peaked my interest. That being said I also want and 1873 Winchester replica and at this moment don't know which I want more. Also bear in mind I know these are very different rifles for very different tasks and neither are a need, just strong wants, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Gorgeous rifle in a decent chambering and made by Pedersoli, the better of the Italian gunmakers when it comes to replicas. While it can handle reasonable smokeless loads, it can be stoked with black powder cartridges too. I use BP in my own 45-70 when I want the effect, so I reckon this is the right board for your query.

Everybody has a Winchester. Turn some heads and strike up conversations with a Sharps! :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankyou JB White for the response, I appreciate your opinion. Several months ago I picked up an original 1892 Winchester and since then can't seem to get any of these old west guns off my mind. I've always admired both the 1873 Winchester and the Sharps, in-fact I had to watch Quigley Down Under again just to see a fine old Sharps in action. I think that in time I'll just have to get both since I can't seem to settle the argument, the only question is, which one do I get first?

·
Gold Bullet member
11,644 Posts
I am currently also looking to find a reproduction Sharps. A Pedersoli would be just fine with me.

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you want to buy a Sharps reproduction you have numerous choices. As with anything you will get as many opinions. =)

Right now Pedersoli and C Sharps make a fine reproductions. If you want the absolute very best, purchase a Shilo Sharps. They make the entire rifle. The receivers are machine made, not cast, the wood to metal fit is perfect. The majority of the winner of single shot black powder matches are Shilo Sharos. The Shilo is the only Sharps reproduction whose parts will interchange with an original!

On the other hand, most of the other manufactures rifles and carbines will give most shooters great service.

Terry

·
Registered
231 Posts
Your question regarding Lyman

I personally have not held a Lyman. It is my understanding that it is considerably smaller than an actual Sharps.

If some one can clarify this, I'd love to know about it

Terry

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just doing some research on the various 1877 Sharps rifles available

They make the entire rifle. The receivers are machine made, not cast,
I believe Shiloh uses investment cast receivers and C. Sharps makes their receivers out of billet steel.

C Sharps does not make their own barrels as they feel a company that specializes in making barrels can do a better job. They used Badger barrels until recently and now use Green Mountain barrels. Two of the best in the BPCR game.

I've recently had an opportunity to handle a Lyman 1878.......Superb fit and finish. As good as anything I've ever seen. Hope to hear more about its accuracy, but with a Pedersoli cut rifle and hand lapped barrel, it should be positive.

TLJack...The smaller rifle you are thinking about is the "Mini Sharps" that Lyman sold a few years ago. Available in 38-55 and 22 Hornet. These are built by Chiappa.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts