Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed that SGammo has some 7.62x54r "Extra" ammo made by LVE in 2010, 200gr bullet, brass case, red box with a picture of a winged figure. Price was close to $1/rd. There's thread in the Ammo Bunker about it, but nobody seems to have tried it.
Ammunition Store has some with the same data, but shows a WPA box, Berdan-primed, "non-corrosive powder", whatever that is.
Has anyone on here heard of or shot any?

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,105 Posts
This should be good stuff.

The white box LVE 147 gr. ammo was some of the best non match grade 7.62x54 I've ever shot. It shot equally well in my PSL, PU sniper, and M39's.

My impression is the ammo that comes out of this LVE factory is very consistent, and held to high quality control standards.

Give us a range report on this 200 gr. LVE Extra when you can.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,489 Posts
I have some on order now, hoping it groups well for the price.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Luckily, I'll be able to get a good test of this ammo in at Quantico in the next couple weeks when I meet up with milprileb. Should be able to see how it does at 100, 300, 600 and 1000 yards. If this is the same load specs as the original Extra, it should have no troubles getting out that far.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Those of you who are ammo experts out there, here are the specs from the LVE website for this ammo. Does this look comparable to the original 60s/70s "Extra" at least? From what I've heard before, extreme spread at 300m on Soviet surplus extra is <9 cm. This says 8.8, so I'm just looking to confirm.

http://www.lveplant.ru/pages_en.php?id=49

Case material / Jacket materialBrass / Copper
Bullet mass, g12,85 - 13,05
Cartridge mass, g25,2 - 26,8
Bullet Velocity V[SUB]25[/SUB], m/s735-750
Pressure Pav Averange, Mpa284,4
Pressure Pav Maximum, Mpa304
Accurancy (Pav) at firing from ballistic at distance 300m, sm* Пнб(max)<8.8
The quantity at cartridges in box, pcs20
FinctionFor shooting at distance 300 m and more

* - Diameter of dispersion (П) - the distance between two inner the most remoted holes, at target firing.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
"LVE" is, of course, Novosibirsk, the makers of the fine "188" silvertip ammo and the Soviet sniper ammo for many years.

They also currently make the superb white box "LVE 10" and LVE 11" light ball mentioned above, which we buy from the Russians to give to our allies for machinegun and SVD use, who unfortunately sometimes shoot us with it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Went to the 300 yard range at Quantico today with Milprileb and jojdaduck aka Skip and Bob to give this ammo and my PU a good testing. We found that this ammo was shooting 1-2 inch groups consistently at 300 yards. In other words, roughly .33 to .66 MOA accuracy is doable as long as your rifle has a good bore/crown and you put in your part. If you don't feel like hand loading and you need some quality match grade loads, you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Couple Questions. 200gr bullets too heavy for a SVT 1940 Tokarev ??
I would advice not to use anything over 150gr with SVT-40.

I have shot some 180gr and 200gr HB with my SVT-40s without any problems but I don't do that anymore or recommend that to anyone. For example the Finns noticed that 200gr ammo with light structure of SVT-40 was not a good combination and that caused numerous breakages.

·
Registered
21,259 Posts
Very consistent performing ammo indeed. This kind of accuracy at 300 meters is impressive and speaks well of this ammo and the PU rifle being shot by Brandon. In my opinion this is true match grade ammo.
Its about a buck a shot and has a really long 200 grain bullet that bucks wind and drives accuracy.

Just the ticket for 800 and 1000 yds .

On a lighter note, seems all 3 of the Mosin PU / PEM shooters on the line were nailing 300 meter targets and all the high speed black rifle and Model 700 "sniper systems" were holding the 100 yd targets. We got a lot of " Who Are Those Guys" kind of dirty looks. As the RSO said at the safety brief: " The Real Men Shoot 300 meters" which went over with snarled looks by the amassed plinkers at the range today. Actually, the RSO was dead right but then again, I am biased .

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,248 Posts
Went to the 300 yard range at Quantico today with Milprileb and jojdaduck aka Skip and Bob to give this ammo and my PU a good testing. We found that this ammo was shooting 1-2 inch groups consistently at 300 yards. In other words, roughly .33 to .66 MOA accuracy is doable as long as your rifle has a good bore/crown and you put in your part . . .
Very consistent performing ammo indeed. This kind of accuracy at 300 meters is impressive and speaks well of this ammo and the PU rifle being shot by Brandon. In my opinion this is true match grade ammo.
Its about a buck a shot and has a really long 200 grain bullet that bucks wind and drives accuracy.

Just the ticket for 800 and 1000 yds .

On a lighter note, seems all 3 of the Mosin PU / PEM shooters on the line were nailing 300 meter targets and all the high speed black rifle and Model 700 "sniper systems" were holding the 100 yd targets. We got a lot of " Who Are Those Guys" kind of dirty looks . . .
Impossible. Everyone knows you could fire a Mosin from inside a barn and still miss the barn. :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
It was definitely a fun time and a cool sight to see a bunch of PU/PEM sniper rifles lined up and shooting further than the tacticool crowd. I highly suggest coming out to Quantico if you are nearby and want to sort out your rifle at longer range or want to compete in the vintage precision rifle match in September.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.