Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won this a week or so ago. I have not even seen one of these in the wild before so I know nothing about them, but I was told the metal is all matching but the stock is not. Very nice rifle. The prices seem pretty volatile on them right now. Definitely a bucket list gun for me. Its been a pretty good last couple of weeks. Oh, it came with a gas adjustment tool, which is nice to have. I was told the guy before me bought it from a guy who bought it many years ago and used it to hunt deer with. John

Attachments

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Prices on Lux FN49s have been reaching into the stratosphere recently. I've seen a couple sell well over $2K in recent weeks. Makes me glad I picked up mine a couple years ago for way under half that. They are beautiful rifles.

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
Good catch on the sight ears. I wonder why they did that?
The story says that it was once owned by a deer hunter. The most likely reason for the removal of the sight protection wings was to eliminate confusion when taking snap-shots in the field.

Some people find it just too easy to 'pick up' and use one of those sight protection ears and use it as a front sight for a hurried shot. I used to do the same thing (aim with the wrong 'sight') with an M1 Carbine, but I worked at it, and trained myself out of the habit.

Then again there are people that just can't leave well enough alone, and feel an overwhelming need to 'personalize' their rifles. Usually something like this results.

You see this type of butchery on a lot on old, one time milsurp, hunting rifles.

I like my Lux M49 a lot, too, but I picked it up way back when Hector was a pup, and I only have about $100 in it.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The story says that it was once owned by a deer hunter. The most likely reason for the removal of the sight protection wings was to eliminate confusion when taking snap-shots in the field.

Some people find it just too easy to 'pick up' and use one of those sight protection ears and use it as a front sight for a hurried shot. I used to do the same thing (aim with the wrong 'sight') with an M1 Carbine, but I worked at it, and trained myself out of the habit.

Then again there are people that just can't leave well enough alone, and feel an overwhelming need to 'personalize' their rifles. Usually something like this results.

You see this type of butchery on a lot on old, one time milsurp, hunting rifles.

I like my Lux M49 a lot, too, but I picked it up way back when Hector was a pup, and I only have about $100 in it.
In the end, the sight ears being cut off is not a big deal to me. If it shoots straight and reliably, I will be happy. I truly hate it when a guy posts an expensive rifle he stole from some unsuspecting seller then asks, "how did I do?" He knows how he did and just is seeking attention for it. I paid very little for this rifle so I am very happy to add it to my collection and if I ever resell it I will disclose its flaws and still do very well with it. Thank you for the feedback. John

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have one just like yours. Somebody cut off the sight ears and butchered the stock. I replaced the stock with a Belgian one and bought the piece to fix the front sight. Just haven't figured out the best way to do the swap yet without tearing something up. It may be something a gunsmith should do. Nice rifle btw.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have one just like yours. Somebody cut off the sight ears and butchered the stock. I replaced the stock with a Belgian one and bought the piece to fix the front sight. Just haven't figured out the best way to do the swap yet without tearing something up. It may be something a gunsmith should do. Nice rifle btw.
I assume it to be a much larger job than I care to do. Lol

I will shoot it as is. Thanks, John

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Johnny nothing to be shy about... great looking rifle and will make a great shooter.... There are some winners that will poo poo the front sight but let them go find one in nice shape! Very true whjat you say about these Scholars ripping off a widow or the like, and then playing smug on the boards.....

I had several Egyptian FN's over the years and always wanted a Lux... congrats on the find!

·
Registered
218 Posts
lpcullen,

I would be v'interested in how you get the thread protector off the muzzle.

GS38

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
The thread protector device just screws off. The gas adjustment wrench has a little tab on it that should help. I took mine off and installed a HK 91 flash hider. Direct fit and easy peasy.

Reactions: JohnnySako
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.