Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the chance to check out a friends 1918 Erfurt this past weekend. Appears to be all matching.
The bad news is it was reblued and polished about 20 years ago, the worse news is it was left in a South Florida storage unit for a while. It is now covered with red rust. Since the value has been trashed anyway I thought it might be a good idea to get it refinished in a more original type finish, the pitting is there to stay but it should still be a good shooter. Any suggestions on which way to go with it?
Thanks.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I'd try electrolyis (can't spell) should be able to get the bulk of the rest off and then you can see what you are dealing with. Either that or bead blast then either hot tank bluing or park it. Most likely have a lot of pitting so probably collector value shot. Frank

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Leave it the way it is and make up some ridiculous story about it was Adolf Hitler's personal WWI Luger which has just be discovered! Perhaps you can sell it for a million dollars.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,339 Posts
Not electrolysis as it may wreck some of the good remaining surface by depositing metal on it. See if someone can polish it back into original shape as the rust isn't really THAT horrible. You shoulda seen my cheapo "Poor" Ballisters from Century before the sandblasting. That Luger is pristine by comparison.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.