Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question on a new for me Finned Luger.

Upon examining it I find that the firing pin does not arm or engage if I pull the action all the way back and release letting the action close on its own.

The firing pin does engage if I lift the toggle enough to open the breach 1/2" or so and then close it.

This does not seem normal - what am I missing here?

Daniel39

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK - I think I know what is going on.

I'm curious as to what suggestions folks here might have so I will just describe the symptoms for now:

- With the side plate installed, the firing pin will cock if the toggle is lifted partially and then pushed back down. The firing pin will not cock if the action is pulled all the way back and then released.
- With the takedown lever closed without the sideplate in place, the firing pin cocks always.

Any suggestions as to fixes?

Daniel39

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,099 Posts
After a good good complete cleaning your Luger upper you should check the sear and firing pin lug for wear or signs that someone tried to improve the trigger pull. When I had my shop I repaired a few Lugers where the sear engagement angle was changed when someone attempted to lighten the trigger pull. A couple of which had gone full auto when they were fired so it's something that needs proper attention. Also make sure the plunger at the front end of the sear is free and operating smoothly. The flat sear spring should be providing enough pressure to operate correctly, if not repro springs are available. If not sure how to do this I would recommend that you take it to a competent gunsmith who has some familiarity with Lugers.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Gunner, I was expecting a reply from you based on past related threads.

I'm glad I did not take this piece to the range yet as it seems it could have gone full-A.

I took the piece apart, cleaned and exmained carefully. The problem does not seem to be due to dirt.

This is what I think is happening:
- The front of the sear bar is being pushed down by the side plate reducing the available sear overlap.
- The sear lug does not protrude far enought into the action even when the safety is on and the side plate is off.
- When cocked, the pin fires very early in the sear travel, at around 10% of full travel.

I'm trying to get a new sear bar, which hopefully would have more lug. Any suggestions for where to get one?

In the worst case, I think I might be able to fix this one by modifying the bar in a way that allows the lug to stick further into the action. This would involve eliminating the contact under the sideplate, deepening the pivot slot and thinning the back end of the bar to allow it to sit deeper in the groove.

Daniel39

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.