Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard of the Canadian 7.62mm barrels that lack bayonet lugs.

But what about .303 barrels with no bayonet lugs?

Local shop has a LB No4MkI*, sporterized, with a barrel lacking bayonet lugs. No sign of any lugs ever having been present, but the sporterization is minimal. Forearm and handguards have been removed/modified, and the lugs for the front sight guard are present (as is the guard itself) but there is no trace of the bayonet lugs.

Rifle is a '44 LB No4MkI*, with no additional markings visible. Shop says it's a .303, and it's fitted with a homebuilt 5-round magazine; an additional (original?) magazine and some ammunition is supposed to be included in the deal.

Late-production lug-less replacement barrel? Bubba with some metal-working skills and a hatred for bayonet lugs? Misidentified 7.62mm conversion?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
303 and 7.62 target rifle barrels

were made by Sportco to meet the demand for replacement barrels for target shooters once the early lot of rifles had the original barrels worn out. The No.4's appeared just a year or so after the war and became the most popular target rifle by about 1960. Central began making mount plates for the No.4 rifle about 1947. Target shooters had no need for bayo lugs so they were not machined, only the lugs for the foresight block.

I would expect many barrels were also made for sporters with no lugs at all, and the barrel was left bare if it was a scoped rifle or if a front sight was needed one of the commercial ramped jobs would have been fitted by the gunsmith

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unable to stand the thought of never knowing, and making the excuse to myself that $100 for a LB No4MkI* (after a fashion) with a set of RCBS dies thrown-in was too good a deal to pass up, I went back to the shop for it.

And 47 hours later---our "instant check" is rather backed-up by the hundreds of people buying guns every day since the elections---I had it in my hands.

It's not a Sportco barrel. It appears to be a Fazakerly barrel? Broad arrow and "F54" to the right of the Knox form, "D" over "5" to the left. British "Crowned-GR over crossed pennants over P" proof mark on the Knox form flat. And a marking I've never seen before: looks rather like a pair of broad arrows, nose to tail, with a circle at the tail, or a stylized Christmas tree with a root ball, if that makes a better mental image? Also on the right side of the Know form. Five grooves, lefthand twist.

Receiver ring itself has the old "England" import/export marking, and no post-1968 importer's mark I could find.

No visible trace of bayonet lugs. No tactile trace either.

Other than that, nothing was sporterized about the metal: still has the front sight lugs, with a stock front sight and protector; the rear sight is a Fazakerly MK I rather than a Canadian-made sight. The trigger and sear have been polished a bit, but nothing major.

If Bubba removed the lugs, he got someone else to do the woodwork. The stocks (it came with 2 sets of wood, both heavily modified) showed no trace of the quality of work that seemingly went into removing the bayonet lugs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.