Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for a discussion/ tutorial to lapping the lugs on a Mosin. Despite cleaning, and yes I cleaned the chamber very well ( not my first Mosin rodeo ), using a sharpie to color the bolt still shows very little contact by the lugs, resulting in a very hard-to-close bolt.

·
Registered
198 Posts
In my limited experience lug contact has little to do with bolt opening force. Could there be muck elsewhere?

Also just get some valve grinding paste and open and close the bolt and that should do it. When I lapped the lugs on my mauser all I had to do was open and close the bolt after smearing the lugs with valve grinding paste with a spring loaded plunger in place.

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
Look to the stock and fit of magazine disconnector, the little spring thing on the left side. If it does not depress correctly into the recess in the stock, bolt is extremely hard to cycle as it is unable to compress this properly. Take it off and try cycling the bolt. If that makes the difference, then it is the problem. You can notch out the recess in the wood with a file or Dremel.

With the frequent mis-match of parts and various swap outs, not all bolts are "mated" to the receiver despite very loose tolerances. Try a different bolt.
Proper "mating" of a bolt to the receiver can be accomplished by "lapping" to make it smooth as silk and a 2 finger operation!
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?36415-Smoothing-out-a-Mosin-bolt
I believe this "tutorial" still lives in the archives

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.