Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Swiss Collectors. I was just in a small out of the way shop and found a few old military rifles in their arms rack. They said they had just bought an estate collection. I saw two long Swiss rifles with slings and brass muzzle caps, about VeryGood, all matching numbers, bright shiney,sharp bores, no "P" marks and nice Swiss crosses on wood. They were not import marked and had no price tags. I put them down, figured they were asking sky high for 'em and ignored them while picking up a couple Springfield 03 A3s and M1 Garands. The man said after I looked over everything, the Springfields are $600 and the M1 is $900. I said too rich for me, no thanks. He smiled and said if you want cheap, I will make you a deal on those long K31 Swiss guns since you can't get ammo. He said $350, but you have to pay tax on them. I said, that's too much, I still can't afford it. He said, ok, tak'em for $300, but you still have to pay tax. I paused, thinking $600 plus tax was still more than I could spend since the new Depression II is just starting, when he said, "com'on guy, I will give you the bayonets too, all for $330 cash or check and tax.
Darn, suddenly understood price was for both together!
Stuttered, looked sheepish and wrote check for $330.00, did paper work, later took home nice Model 96/11 with added pistol grip, long sling, long brass cap and nice M1889 bayonet, scabbard and frog, and also nice M1911 straightpull, with long sling, long brass muzzle cap, Model 1899 bayonet, scabbard and frog. Thanked the man for a good deal, he was smiling and happy, I was in shock. Took home the new stuff, put it against the den wall, looked at it all for a few hours, and figured I will have to eat Campbells Tomato soup and baloney sandwiches for a few weeks to save the budget and find some unavailable ammo.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,133 Posts
Congrats on an excellent deal!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
WOW! You did great. Post some pics if you can. I never get tired of seeing pics of Schmidt Rubins.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,341 Posts
Great find! And you didn't even have to put on a mask or bandana when you "stole" those two rifles and bayonet! :>)
I will bet both of them will be great shooters! By the way, the "P" mark means grandpa liked his issue rifle so much he decided to buy it when his term was up.
Congrats!

Dean (the other one)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thats what I would call a REAL 2fer!! I just purchased a 96/11 with a 116 yr. old sling for about the same price,with no bayos!! I know I would have a cheshire grin for a solid week if I had the fortune of that deal.Hope to see picts and a range report-I think the long Swiss are a fine shooting rifle.....hate to admit it but my Swiss rifles have been shooting on par with my Swedes latley..............hope you enjoy both those gems and the tomato soup........oodles of noodles works for me............Mashwamp

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.