Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of buying a really nice looking 1918 SMLE and while looking at a few 'photos that the vendor has sent me have noticed a 'S' stamped on the stock just behind the trigger guard. I understand that this means that it is a short stock however how long is a standard stock and how much shorter will this one be? I've got long arms so this could be a problem.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Actually the "S" located there does not imply "Shortened" buttstock. An "S" there indicates that the buttstock bolt has a spring attached to it to supply extra tension in tightened the butt to the receiver.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you so much. Is this a common modification (if indeed it is a modification)? This rifle was FTR'd in early thirties - would it have been done then?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Actually the "S" located there does not imply "Shortened" buttstock. An "S" there indicates that the buttstock bolt has a spring attached to it to supply extra tension in tightened the butt to the receiver.
I think you'll find it does actually mean "Short" (buttstock), as per Skennerton. There's also an "L" stamping for "Long" buttstocks, as well.

The "spring in the buttstock" thing is a new one for me; where did you hear that?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
I think you'll find it does actually mean "Short" (buttstock), as per Skennerton. There's also an "L" stamping for "Long" buttstocks, as well.

The "spring in the buttstock" thing is a new one for me; where did you hear that?
The "S" for short would be stamped on top of the butt just forward of the buttplate. Skennerton's TLE, pg.576... "S Underneath butt, near socket - Indian service, fitted with spring washer on the stock bolt."

·
Registered
578 Posts
Butts

Butts came in 3 standard lengths, Short, Normal and Long. Only short and long butts were marked for length with S or L respectively. The length indication was stamped on the top surface just in front of the butt plate. In WWI they also made a Bantam butt which was even shorter than a short. The difference in lengths is 1/2" at a time.

·
Registered
378 Posts
The "S" for short would be stamped on top of the butt just forward of the buttplate. Skennerton's TLE, pg.576... "S Underneath butt, near socket - Indian service, fitted with spring washer on the stock bolt."
Fair enough. Can't say I've heard of the spring washer thing before, but you're right, it is in Skennerton and I must confess I haven't religiously memorised my copy (it's a reference rather than a bible for me ;))

1 - 7 of 7 Posts