Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Due to circumstances which I created, i have damaged the lower band on my type 99. I would like to replace it but the way things appear to be constructed (front band appears to be welded on) i may have trouble removing it. Will the band fit over the cap if i finish drilling out the screw. I know I made a mess of this but want to do it right to fix it.
I had a mangled screw head and in the process of trying to use an extractor created a crater. If possible plan to replace band and screw.
Thank you
mi

·
Registered
449 Posts
Jay,

The front band isn’t coming off easy or without getting booger’d up...it’s welded.

I remember your post from April...I take it you tried to remove/replace your series 8 rear band screw pictured below?

Is there anyway to salvage the rear band and replace the screw? Those screws can be a pain. Maybe have a gunsmith look at it? Sorry to hear about your predicament.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes a gunsmith would be an idea. I would need the threaded part drilled out. I know I cant do that without damaging it. Which is why I was going to replace it. Will have to order a screw and bring the whole mess by. I guess the band ain't coming off

·
Registered
449 Posts
As an option and if there is any screw head left to work with, get some Kroil and hit it with a few drops a day for a few days with thread side up...let it creep into the threads. Warm up the band near the threads with a soldering iron and use an impact screwdriver with a good fitting hollow ground bit...regular screwdrivers tear up these old screw heads.

I’ve had success with a frozen rear tang screw using this method.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good idea. Away from home for a few days. Will try when I get home. Thanks man. This is what happens when your bored at 3am

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I think your welded band has a large cross pin. You have to drive that out before the band comes off. You can see it in your photo.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Leave the front band where it is. Removal won't help this issue and the mid band usually will slip over the front ( sometimes inverted). That said the band looks ok in the photo. The kroil and impact is a good method. If that doesn't work then take a tapered punch and carefully dimple the center of the slot. Use two bits , small and then medium to create a hole in the screw head and use an easy out. If the hole and easy out match smack it tight in the created hole and carefully back out the screw.

Don

1 - 8 of 8 Posts