Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gold bullet with Oak Clusters member
15,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I called on one of my local customers and after the very brief discussion about business he reaches in his desk drawer and says "Lookee here what I got" He pulls out a Ruger Blackhawk in 30 cal. carbine with a 5 1/2" barrel. I didn't know they ever made one as I thought they were all 6.5 or 7.5". Well one thing led to another and we drove down the road to an old mine site and ripped off a few rounds. Let me tell you, that thing is loud. I have the same gun with the 7" or 7.5" I can't remember and it is loud but not like this. The short barrel throws a flame 3 feet long that can be seen in bright daylight. If you ever used it in self defense you could set the perp on fire. I thought to myself that is the kind of pistol gun ole Norm would like.

·
15,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it is loaded with magnum ball powders ie win 296,h110 hand load could help
He likes it the way it is. I had a Keltec LRP that was loud but it wasn't anything compared to that Blackhawk. I shoot down loaded rounds with pistol powder in my BH 30 m1 and it really makes quite a nice round. main thing is as you suggest get that powder burned inside the barrel

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,497 Posts
My nephew has told me stories about shooting one of those with his stepdad. It was known as The Dragon in their household.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,413 Posts
I've been around a few 30 Carbine Blackhawks - and they were all loud, noisy and with an impressive flash, if ever a gun needed a flassh-hider, it is the 30 Carbine Blackhawk. One with a 5.5" tube would be something that would rival the 105 on an M60. I think I need one of those////

·
15,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sure thing Clyde, I think you do need one. I have to say when those guys at the range with their 460s and 500 megablast 9 pound rock the ground pistolas start making noise just stand beside em and rip off some milsurp in the 30 cal black hawk. I'll match em decibel for decibel any day.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,413 Posts
Sure thing Clyde, I think you do need one. I have to say when those guys at the range with their 460s and 500 megablast 9 pound rock the ground pistolas start making noise just stand beside em and rip off some milsurp in the 30 cal black hawk. I'll match em decibel for decibel any day.
Oh yeah - and it is a really sharp and penetrating sort of bark, too. Well, one will turn up sometime when I'm in funds (may be about to need to dial back on toys - wife's car needs replacing and we MAY be about to buy a little over what we had planned on. But if we do, will be in a good cause: '04 Lexus RX330, only 69200 miles....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts