Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen.
About a year ago, in the midst of preparing for a move, I had to do some medical stuff that took too much time and attention.
Last week I discovered my S&W M49 stuffed into a tool bag in the back of my truck. Been there 16 months or more.
Weather got to it and patches of semi serious rust both on the finish and in the mechanism.
It was seized up.
After much fooling around with oil, WD40, and Liquid wrench, I got the cylinder, hammer, and trigger unstuck.
Problem remains that the innards of the cylinder pin are frozen and I can't get it to open up.
The side plate screws are not moving, either.
I guess my best recourse now is to soak it in a container of something for a while.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Oh yeah, it's loaded.

·
Registered
13,010 Posts
It is going to take a LOT of Kroil to soak a revolver up past the cylinder pin, no matter how you orient the gun.

You won't 'wear out' the Kroil, but obtaining that amount of Kroil ain't gonna be cheap.

I am pretty sure that soaking the gun in just about any brand of Automatic Transmission Fluid will do the same job for you, at a significantly lower cost.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ATF sounds good. Got a bunch of it in the shed.
Fortunately, with age, I have developed more patience.
Ain't getting any smarter, though.
It is a nice convenient carry piece. The finish will not be a big issue.
Prepared to get a new cylinder pin assembly iffn' I get the thing to open.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
+1 on 148 with that mix get an old Tupperware container from your wife when she is not looking and let her soak for a week or Two..... Best of luck and let us know how she turns out.....

·
Silver Bullet member
35,382 Posts
ATF and Acetone 50/50 mix will solve all the worlds problems with rusted to shit guns. I've tried it and it made me a believer.
That, and kerosene and mineral spirits are in Ed's Red. It will clean up and break loose any kind of gunk. Gotta be careful not to get it on the finish, though - that stuff will do a number on it.

·
Silver Bullet member
35,382 Posts

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
It is blued?

If so, I'd just get any plastic and wood off of it, then boil it in distilled water. The conversion process for the rust also does wonders at helping stuff break loose. Would boil 45 mins, card and disassemble what I could, boil, card and disassemble, boil, repeat until all converted and apart.

Converting the rust rather than removing it all can save a LOT of original bluing. But know the process before trying.

·
Registered
82 Posts
A gallon of Evapo-rust from an autoparts store will set you back $20-25. Put the pistol in a plastic or metal coffee can and fill it up. It will only eat the oxidized metal (rust) and leave you with a shiny pistol after, so be prepared to oil it up and get it refinished with something (liquid cold blue would be my choice for that- could soak it as well).
The EVAPO-RUST can be poured back into its original container, through a few coffee filters, and used over and over for quite a while.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
55,961 Posts
I have a 66 Smith that was gummed up from lack of use, and using the wrong oils years ago,

I could get it open, but it was just completely sticky ,

I took the grips off, soaked it in a kero bath for a week, then took it completely apart and cleaned it,

after soaking in the kero, it was easy to take down

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Been away from home for a bit.
I'm going with the ATF and Acetone ploy.
Biggest issue is getting the cylinder pin unstuck enough to be able to open it up.
We'll see how this goes.
Thanks for attention.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Just something to note from another reply... anything that dissolves/removes rust, also removes bluing.

So if it's blued, and you use a rust remover, you'll have no finish left.

Getting it apart, at all, beside removing grip scales is nearly/usually a complete nonissue with the boiling method.

This is what the reason, process, and results look like...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts