Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of all the guns I've owned and tens of thousands of rounds I've fired, I have never even shot an AR.

So...

This arrived today. A guy going through a D.I.V.O.R.C.E. needed some quick cash so who was I to turn down a Bushy deal?

Picked it up from my local FFL dealer, stripped it, cleaned it, and installed a Magpul trigger guard.
(budget optics are temporary and came with the package)

Headed to the range tomorrow to learn how to shoot it. I know which end makes the loud noise, and that's about it.

Range report to follow.

· Copper Bullet member
987 Posts
Congrads....once you are taught the tricks of the trade you will enjoy the AR even more. A lot of people doubt them, however, they lack the skill to effectively use one.

G

·
Nice bushmaster. AR's are highly habit forming. If you can find cheap mags stock up on them. IF you shoot wolf out of it(that can be a whole debate with some folks) make sure you take a chamber brush and a one piece cleaning rod with you. I had my first range session with mine cut short after 2-300 rounds when I had a failure to extract and a fired case stuck in the chamber. Even ripped a chunk of the rim off with the extractor. When I got home I had to drive the case out with the cleaning rod and gave the chamber a scrub with the brush. I'm going to get one of the power extractor rings for mine to see if it makes a difference with the rest of the wolf I have left. Nice rifle enjoy! Especially since there is a long wait for ordering one not to mention some of the price spikes.

Jim

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice bushmaster. AR's are highly habit forming. If you can find cheap mags stock up on them. IF you shoot wolf out of it(that can be a whole debate with some folks) make sure you take a chamber brush and a one piece cleaning rod with you. I had my first range session with mine cut short after 2-300 rounds when I had a failure to extract and a fired case stuck in the chamber. Even ripped a chunk of the rim off with the extractor. When I got home I had to drive the case out with the cleaning rod and gave the chamber a scrub with the brush. I'm going to get one of the power extractor rings for mine to see if it makes a difference with the rest of the wolf I have left. Nice rifle enjoy! Especially since there is a long wait for ordering one not to mention some of the price spikes.

Jim
hot daum, I just love practical advice!

duly noted

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Range report:

Learned a LOT today, so here goes in no particular order of significance:

1. I need more money cause I want to shoot 1,000's of round through this gun! MAJOR fun to shoot. I can see myself shooting 500 rounds a weekend, easily. Hmm...on a monthly basis that's a car payment. :eek:

2. Wind gusting to 30mph can have a significant effect on 50 yd. accuracy.

3. $30 optics can work better than my ability to shoot through them. The cheap red/green dot worked just fine at 50yds.

4. DO NOT forget to bring everything on your range check list...like...the CLEANING ROD someone on the Forum TOLD you to bring.

Which brings us to:
5. Wolf steel ammo may fail to extract. If it does, you will need the cleaning rod WHICH YOU DON'T WANT TO FORGET AND LEAVE ON THE WORKBENCH. (Note post above!)

6. Buy better ammo and more of it cause you're gonna shoot this gun A LOT!

7. I need to thank the Forums for providing plenty of "pre-range" info so I didn't spin out of control when a couple dozen Wolves stayed in the hole.

My "groups" were more like friendly "gatherings" first time out, but there's no question this gun will shoot WAY more accurately than I'm able to shoot today.

But there's always tomorrow and MORE ammo, right?:D

· Silver Bullet member
12,960 Posts
you had 2 dozen cases stuck? not good. take some hoppes and a brass brush, put it in a cordless drill and spin it around in the chamber for 20 or 30 seconds, then clean as usual. if i'm not mistaken, bushmaster recommends wolf ammo. never had a problem with it in any of mine.

· Diamond Member with Oak leaves and Swords
2,957 Posts
AR's suck! I got one last year after My experience with 'em. I got an Oly. supposed piece of crap and BOY they ain't the junk I carried.! I had mine run over with an M109 and got a M-60 and even though I was a target , I loved that M.F. burner. I swore that a .223 would never be in my grubby paws again. OLD Dogs can still learn!

· Silver Bullet member
12,960 Posts
doc, don't know how much the previous owner shot it, old wolf was lacquer coated, and if run fast and hot, could gum an action. i never had that problem cause i never try to empty several 30 rounders as fast as i could. your chamber just probably needs a good scrubbing. john, were they really that bad in the Army?

· Banned
5,986 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
I'll second the "buy good mags" suggestion. My only BM won't take the old Thermold magazines. I haven't tried the new polymer MagPul mags to see if that persists. The USGI mags all work fine.

Use a good CLP and wet her down periodically. They like oil, no grease.

Wolf ammo is indeed inexpensive (relatively) but it always leaves residue in my chambers. I use Iosso on a chamber brush (get plenty) wrapped with a patch on a rod chucked in a drill. It's amazing how much crap builds up in a chamber and it keeps running.

Next consider a 22lr upper. Pop off the current upper (pop out the takedown pins) and stick the 22lr on. You can use just the conversion bolt/carrier but over time the dedicated 22lr upper pays for itself.

Good luck and have fun. I do.

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Day 2 range update:

Made sure gun was clean and wet.

Swapped the Wolf for a different type of ammo:

Shot 100 rounds of Prvi Partizan M193 55 grain FMJ 5.56 with no problems.

(Paid $92.50 for 200 round pack.)

Your comments, feedback, opinions, and general Forum rants are welcome.;)

G

·
Don't buy the cheap mags. You'll regret it.

Mil-spec only.
Not cheap in quality but mil-spec cheap in price. I should of stocked up on the O-kay mags when I was able to get them for 10$ new. Some people have not had any problems with the wolf but I have had problems with extraction in all three rifles I have run it thru. lacquered or powder coated it did not matter. Save your reloadable brass as well. Even if you don't get into reloading for the AR, which is hella lot cheaper. you can sell the brass and put the money towards more ammo.

Jim

· Silver Bullet member
12,960 Posts
there's lots of good mags for the AR, as long as they are military. i like C-products, la belle, andventure line, colt, thermolds, and others. never had a problem with wolf in any of the 4 AR's i've got, it's even downright accurate in 1 or 2.

· Registered
579 Posts
ARs are addictive for sure. I bought one and thought that would be enough. Now I have the LPK for another with the upper on the way. They are almost as addictive as Mosin-Nagants and quite a bit more expensive.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.