Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I waited to post on this as most times it is just a rumor but it looks like we got screwed again. James Yeager posted a letter from the ATF stating that since there is now a manufacturer building 5.45 pistols the round is considered an armor piercing pistol round. It has been confirmed by Aim and Copes apparently too. there is a 30 day period that is supposed to be used for hearing public comments on law changes and I'm sure they will put out a blanket letter, but they have already stopped importation so looks like it is done.

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
54,874 Posts
762x39 steel core has been banned from sales (FFL) and importation for some time, it could very well affect the 223 rounds though...

do you have links to AIM and Copes take on the issue?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
7.62 steel cored ammo has been banned for years using the same law, that's why there is no surplus 7.62x39 ammo on the market, they used this law to stop it's importation. I'm willing to bet that 5.56 with the steel penetrator will go eventually.

"Copes Distributing has confirmed that the ATF has in fact shut off the import of 5.45×39 surplus ammo. From a post they made on AR15.com at 3pm today:
Confirmed from the IMPORT BRANCH of the BATFE…Just got off the phone with them….Exact words No more Imports of 5.45×39 Ammo……. Don’t hate me as we are OUT OF STOCK ALREADY….. Just delivering the message…"

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm having a hard time verifying Aim's response though. Pretty soon only the rich folks will be able to afford to shoot, same as Europe. Think I'm going to have to take up fishing.

·
54,874 Posts
I'm having a hard time verifying Aim's response though. Pretty soon only the rich folks will be able to afford to shoot, same as Europe. Think I'm going to have to take up fishing.
I've often told people in 1979 I was paying as high as $1.25/rd for 762x39, that is for one round and 1975 dollars :) There was once a time when people would reload all week, then take their 100rds to the range, slow fire 60 of them over the course of a couple of hours and then go home to brag to others how much they shot. We've been spoiled by cheap ammo for the last 20 years.

Still sucks to see any ammo banned.

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
Well, I waited to post on this as most times it is just a rumor but it looks like we got screwed again. James Yeager posted a letter from the ATF stating that since there is now a manufacturer building 5.45 pistols the round is considered an armor piercing pistol round. It has been confirmed by Aim and Copes apparently too. there is a 30 day period that is supposed to be used for hearing public comments on law changes and I'm sure they will put out a blanket letter, but they have already stopped importation so looks like it is done.
AIM/Cope together just called a 1-800 ATF number and whoever they spoke to said it's not importable (not very reliable info as answers change depending on who answers the phone at ATF). Bryan at AIM then spoke to 6 of his suppliers and non had anything official from ATF and just been hearing the same rumors that are running around on the WWW. Bryan still doesnt know anything.

in the end it will not matter if 7n6 is importable or not. Monkey see, monkey do. 7n6 has already been drive to the price level of new commercial stuff at this very moment.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The 7.62mm NATO/308W was added to the list of handgun cartridges back in 1994. That's 20 years ago and many people are still having a hard time accepting it.

So, give it time. What is happening will eventually sink in. But, it may be too late by then.

Stock up now.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So because they make .40 cal carbines it's a rifle cartridge? This thinking is very flawed. Not only that, I'f I get shot with a 7.62 or 5.45 I want to get shot with an armor piercing bullet it will do less damage than a full lead core bullet once it penetrates my issue 3A body armor and it will go through no matter what the core is made of. As LE I almost never wear my ceramic rifle armor since it is so bulky/heavy but it will stop steel cored bullets and isn't that what these laws were supposively made for? To protect LE agents/officers like me? I'm so mad, I'm holding out a little hope that this is some sort of misunderstanding still, but if Copes and Aim were told they can't import any more then no 7n6 is going to hit the shelves, they are some of the biggest players.

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
So because they make .40 cal carbines it's a rifle cartridge? This thinking is very flawed. Not only that, I'f I get shot with a 7.62 or 5.45 I want to get shot with an armor piercing bullet it will do less damage than a full lead core bullet once it penetrates my issue 3A body armor and it will go through no matter what the core is made of. As LE I almost never wear my ceramic rifle armor since it is so bulky/heavy but it will stop steel cored bullets and isn't that what these laws were supposively made for? To protect LE agents/officers like me? I'm so mad, I'm holding out a little hope that this is some sort of misunderstanding still, but if Copes and Aim were told they can't import any more then no 7n6 is going to hit the shelves, they are some of the biggest players.

neither imports ammo, nor did they received official notification from ATF. They only call a 1-800 number for ATF and asked somebody on the other end. AIM and Cope's buys ammo from importers. AIM contacted 6 of those importer and none of them received anything official from ATF, just heard the same online rumors.

·
54,874 Posts
Generally speaking the BATF works in the opposite way, pistol to rifle is OK, rifle to pistol will bring a closer examination.

Here is an interesting take on it...
http://www.pagunblog.com/2007/07/29/armor-piercing-ammo/

1 - 20 of 125 Posts