Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a win 1300. I have been very happy with it but today went out and put a box of shells through it and the noticed the safety pin wouldn't full push in. trigger would fire with it in and out . So this might be a excuse to buy a new shotgun. I was thinking about a new rem 870 12 ga 26 or 28 inch premier. I was wondering if these 870s today are as good or worse than the guns made like 10 or 20 yrs ago ?

·
Silver Bullet member
52,872 Posts
Parts 1400's and other win.? You had to buy the whole trigger group.
.back 15 years ago was a steep price! Near $50 with shipping!

Mossberg and after market choke tubes last for ever....

870's.... Not even close to the older ones for a long time!

I like over unders, and recently side by sides....not Simi auto's at all!
Own just one pump mossy assault tactical new ...
one tactical digital camo Simi European industries based on high grade Italian companies two patented actions put together to beat patents...m3 m4 benellie ...

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
Depends what you want it for ...
I like a Mossberg and several other brands over an 870 for various features/functions. It all depends on what you want to shoot with it. Clays? Birds? Deer? People?
It can be specific to purpose. How it fits and how it swings for you, as applied to how you use it, is what matters. A shotgun is a shotgun and they all do the same thing. Some feel right and some don't when you pick it up and shoulder it.
I don't hunt or shoot clays often but a good shotty is a necessity in the inventory of guns one must have.

For an all purpose shotty, the 870 is like the AK of shotguns. Been around forever. Every conceivable part and accessory ever known to man easily available and cheap. In the event of SHTF, likely to be able to find parts for one just about anywhere. Practically indestructible and never wear out. Not over priced as many other brands tend to be. Mine is in a bag with several barrels, pistol grips, stocks and accessories. Easily converted in minutes to whatever purpose suits the day with simple tools. Can't beat a pump action for reliability. So few moving parts that hardly anything ever goes wrong with them and easily broken down and cleaned even in the dark!

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I like the older 870's so much I have three of them. My el cheapo 870 express with mystery wood and blasted receiver has the worst trigger pull among the 4 that I have. Think I paid $200 and change for mine. One wingmaster with rifles sights, and two police tuni in shotguns covered in rust one was $200 and the other was $225. Spent many hours with 4/0 steel wool and oil removing the rust. You would not recongize them today. Funny thing about the rust, took awhile getting it off everything but no pitting for which I'm happy.Frank

·
Registered
950 Posts
Nothing is made as it was 10-20 years ago.

Really depends on what you want your new shotgun to be, "tactical", clay shooter, field gun ect. The good news is that makers are finally paying attention to the fit of a shotgun and supplying shims and options for stock fit. I suppose that it is a case of "ain't made as well, but fits better".

Depending on what you want, Mossberg is generally good, as are Browning, Benelli and yes, Remington. None of these are going to be the "bank vault" construction of old, but still functional reliable guns.
Narrow down your preferences by what options you would like.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,437 Posts
I just bought a ‘new’ shotgun. Well it will be new to me. It is a Winchester Model 12 built back in 1933. I really like the model 12’s. I have one I use for trap shooting that was made in 1916. Just don’t get craftsmanship like that anymore.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
update finaly decided to get a benelli montefeltro 12 ga 28 inch. I put 1 box of heavy hunting loads and one box of target stuff through it and at the end it was getting 3 for 3 so at least I can shoot it decent. I found a case of AA win target at walmart so time for some practice before the bird season :)

gary

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Good for you Jorde. Good gun you decided on. Got a 1300 Upland myself. Seems OK so far but I know not exactly a Model 12. Using a Rem. 1100 for trap. Hope you enjoy yours. Man I know these guns ain"t cheap anymore.

·
Silver Bullet member
52,872 Posts
Few months back bought a 1920 modle A ejectors ...A H Fox....12...in excellent not perfect condition ...but stunning....shape....
Pawned by a real old timer...between thanksgiving Christmas.....never came back to claim it?
Need to shoot it....

·
Gold Bullet member
2,437 Posts
Sounds like you made a fine choice. Benelli makes some fine shotguns.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.