Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wanted to get a FN / FAL and I'm wondering if this year would be the one
to get serious about it , what I'm after is a close as possible FAL from the the 60s ?
STG 58 ? , what I know about FALs is about zero , hoping somebody could chime in with
a few pointers /suggestions on were to look and what a fair price range would be .
Thanks , Kris

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
If you are a true novice to FALs. With the utmost respect to this forum, the first thing I'd recommend is jumping over and joining falfiles.com forums. Absolutely hands down the most knowledgeable group of collectors and shooters of all the many varieties of FAL rifles. That's where I spent a lot of time when I was researching getting one. I ended up deciding to go with the Commonwealth Inch Pattern L1a1. Scored a nice build for a great price on the marketplace forum there.
There's a ton of factors involved when buying a FAL. As there are very few true "factory" FN rifles available. Most are builds off parts kits or DSA rifles which have both positive and negative aspects.
I recommend figuring out exactly which configuration FAL you want and finding a good one. Prices arnt cheap for them so research is key.
Good luck and let us know what you end up deciding!

·
Registered
21,257 Posts
The above is great advice and FalFiles can be intimidating..tons of info there so go slow and be patient and ask questions.

One point of note: When you come down to a few options , come up with those and post here and let some of our FN FAL real experienced shooters give their analysis. Guys like John Crusher come to mind . They 'll confirm which of your options has merit. There are a lot of car wreck FN FAL builds out there that don't work so don't get skunked.

While I went the Inch route ten yrs ago, it was apparent the supply of parts was nearly out of our market place and dried up. The future then and now is Metric ..you will be better served getting metric lower and upper for a build or in a build you purchase. No one that I know of is making Inch pattern parts , its all gone to metric. Really makes sense, only the Brits & Aussies chose to do Inch , the entire rest of world did metric.

Post corrected: I had left out the Aussies

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys , I'll join up with Falfiles and start to do my homework , I first heard of
DSA about 15 years ago , was seriously considering a purchase from them over the
years but never did, have heard good and bad about them , so not to sure about
that... I figure to take a year to figure this out ( need to save up and keep the wife
happy at the same time )

·
Silver Bullet Member
6,552 Posts
The above is great advice and FalFiles can be intimidating..tons of info there so go slow and be patient and ask questions.

One point of note: When you come down to a few options , come up with those and post here and let some of our FN FAL real experienced shooters give their analysis. Guys like John Crusher come to mind . They 'll confirm which of your options has merit. There are a lot of car wreck FN FAL builds out there that don't work so don't get skunked.

While I went the Inch route ten yrs ago, it was apparent the supply of parts was nearly out of our market place and dried up. The future then and now is Metric ..you will be better served getting metric lower and upper for a build or in a build you purchase. No one that I know of is making Inch pattern parts , its all gone to metric. Really makes sense, only the Brits chose to do Inch , the entire rest of world did metric.
Australia produced the inch pattern, too.

·
Diamond Member with Oak leaves and Swords
2,948 Posts
Try and find a SAR-48 for $1800 or less. Factory produced rifle that will keep increasing in value.
He's my Brother on the files and a decent SAR-48 will be the real deal. If you decide you want a specific model, send me a p.m. , I may have what you want. I'm pretty flush with Fals !

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I joined up over at the Falfiles forum , from what I have looked at as to the
configuration I'm after would be a STG 58 , with factory bipod , factory type long
flash hider , plastic but , steel handguards , carry handle , I cant post there yet , so
I was wondering if wood furniture can be changed out on the 58 , not looking for
a " factory new " condition rifle but not junk either , any thoughts on DSA's STG 58
good or bad ? , years ago when I started looking they were selling them for $999
really trying to stay at the 1200 or less price range

·
2,948 Posts
The market on Fals is going up price wise.
If you want the STG 58 then $1200 is starting for a mixmaster.
Maybe you'd get one magazine .
$1500+ is more realistic.
DSA rifles' normally are very good, but I am trying to get a buddies to run with ALL magazines, not just PARA ones.
I've built a bunch on their receivers but have only bought the Collectors Edition G1.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was hoping with the new political situation for the next four or more years
the market might loosen up a little , I suppose that is wishful thinking ... I'm
not going to purchase for probably a year or maybe less as I need to save up
to do so , what I have learned so far it is less expensive to buy a build rather
than build one myself , never have done a build but am confident that I could,

·
Registered
292 Posts
I was wondering if wood furniture can be changed out on the 58
It almost sounds like what you really are looking for a G1 FAL.... which is an earlier variant with wooden stocks and grips with metal handguards and bipods. I've attached a pic mine that I built... or should I say "assembled".

Other than the barrel install it is rather easy to assemble a FAL... though some areas require 3 hands. I purchased my G1 kit that last time they were available in quantity a few years ago... it was typical beat to death barrel-less kit. I found an original Stg-58 barrel and gas block and had it installed on a Coonan G1 receiver by a fellow over on Falfiles.... I think his screen name was Sledge or Sledgehammer. He was highly recommended by others and had fast turn around... IMO if you are building one the tools to install the barrel properly are not worth the cost. I did the rest of the repair, refinishing and re-assembly myself. Total cost was probably 12-1400 for the kit, receiver, barrel, install, 922r parts, mags and parts to replace broken pieces in the kit... but this was 4-5 years ago money.

I've only shot a couple hundred rounds through mine but it runs like a champ with the gas setting on 3 or 4 depending on ammo... I do get a bit of gas leakage around the gas tube as mine still has the full length gas tube on it. I've had good luck with DSA 20 round mags and originals... I wouldn't waste the money on the DSA 30 rounders.... I've had less than stellar luck with them.

One bit of friendly advise... be careful with the recoil springs in the stock.... they will launch the nut that captures them at your face if you are not careful... DSA sells a special tool to remove them.

Second bit a friendly advise... bring a glove to the range if you get one with a metal handguard.... you won't be able to touch it after a couple mag dumps.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Appreciate the information I've always wanted to put together a parts kit , but
always been a little in the dark about barrel timing and head space , although
the more I study it it seems more of a reality , I have decided to go with a STG58
as I like the changes to that model , I was just curious if the wood furniture could
be swapped out once in a while just because I like wood stock sets ... , any thoughts
if parts kits might be imported in the future ? or are they just plain being used up
and the supply is forever getting to be more rare these days ?

·
2,948 Posts
What you see is basically what's out and comes up for sale from time to time. The old days for Fal kits has pretty much limited, but you can get them if you pay attention, just be prepared to jump when the opportunity arises. I like my Fals in wood, but my truck gun is plastic.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I was just curious if the wood furniture could
be swapped out once in a while just because I like wood stock sets ... , any thoughts
if parts kits might be imported in the future ? or are they just plain being used up
and the supply is forever getting to be more rare these days ?
You shouldn't have any issues swapping back and forth between a wooden and plastic stock/grips. It is unlikely however that you will find decent original set of wood... most of the last kits had very rough stocks. My buttstock is a Turkish replacement that I repaired and slightly reshaped to look more "correct". I had to acquire a replacement buttplate as the one in my kit was smashed (very common).

I doubt we will see any more large amounts of FAL kits come into the country. Anything left that is nice that is not here already is more than likely waiting for the slim chance the barrel ban will be reversed so they can be brought in and sold at a premium.... doubt many good barrels got the ax when last batch of G1 and early Belgian kits were imported. The cut barrel with my kit was almost a smoothbore....

I still kick myself for selling my first FAL kit I purchased... bought it for $200... sold it for.... $175 when me and my wife were short on funds. It was a clean matching Imbel kit with original barrel.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I registered and am on the forum 3 days ago over at the Falfiles , but not able to post
or start a thread , tried to contact a administrator , no response as of two days back ,
does anyone here know if there is a waiting period for full privileges over there ?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I registered and am on the forum 3 days ago over at the Falfiles , but not able to post
or start a thread , tried to contact a administrator , no response as of two days back ,
does anyone here know if there is a waiting period for full privileges over there ?
Well... same thing happened to me. I gave up after maybe three tries emailing the admins. I figured out everything I needed to without needing to post, anyway.

I wish you better luck.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.