Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an SKS at an auction.

I need a cleaning rod, a spike bayonet (complete with mounting hardware) and a crossbolt nut, or the entire crossbolt and nut....and the kit that fits in the stock at the butt.

I have these parts in a shopping cart on ebay right now for $55.00 shipped....say ???? how many??? AR 15 mags? Let me know if what's reasonable or not. If no one wants to trade, I'll buy the ebay stuff.

If anyone can tell me what the pedigree of my seemingly unmarked SKS might be. The serial number is 8801814.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
It will be a whole lot easier to tell you what youve got if you can get some pictures up. Is there an arsenal stamp on the left side of the receiver (in the shape of a triangle, oval or rectangle) or other markings besides the serial number?

Are you sure its a spike bayonet you need?

Also gunshows-usa.com has a pretty thorough listings of gunshow for every state in the US. Check it out to see if there are upcoming shows in your area. If yer lucky , you'll be near enough to one of the larger shows where it is often easy to find the cleaning rods and kits, and even the more common bayonets.

Cross bolts are a bit more difficult to find.

You can also post in the WTB or WTT forums on the gunboards main menu page.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Photo links are dead. Wierd glitch that's been plaguing the forums lately.

Can you repost on photobucket or another photo-hosting site and then post links?

Without any other markings it sounds like it could be one of the late 80's scrubbed guns?
No import stamp on the barrel or possibly even in the receiver well?

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
The photo above is from another site -- chinesesks.com. I just linked the photo.

That serial pattern I think identifies is at as 1988 dated gun. IIRC your specific rifle is assembled from a mix of unused Type56 parts from different years of production. Any leftover serial numbers were scrubbed when the rifle was assembled for commercial export.

Very unique guns that I've only seen one of in person. Essentially a modern production Type 56. I saw a 93 dated gun last weekend at the 3 day show in Philadelphia. It was a beauty.

There's a page over at sks-files.com that explains your specific run of carbines. I would link the page but i forget where the specific thread is locate (possibly in the "commercial sks" area). I believe they were made/assembled from 1988 until 1994 when the Clinton era ban on Chinese guns became law.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Those rough areas to the left and right of your serial number are where the original arsenal stamp, three chinese charcters 五六式 (type56 designation), and serial number would have been.

Did you get a decent deal in acquiring it?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not as good as the $88 Norico I got several years ago....I've got about $250 into it. I hope to complete it and trade it for something more to my liking. I'm more into the antique or milsurp guns.

Yeah, I know it's technically a milsurp...or identical to one, but being a baby boomer, my heros fought in the first two World Wars.....

RBH

·
Silver Bullet Member
20,943 Posts
Looks like the crossbolt inletting has been stripped inside the stock. Even though there is a screwdriver slot on one end of the bolt, it does not turn inside the wood. Instead, then nut should be turned out, and the bolt pressed out without turning.

When you install your new crossbolt, you may have to add a little epoxy on the head end and just behind the nut end of the bolt, and then assemble the receiver into the stock quickly so that the bolt will set into the epoxy in the bolt in the correct position.

·
Registered
10 Posts
rbhouston,
i have two syn stocks and a yugo wooden stock that has a cross bolt in it. also around here is a reg bayonet and a cleaning rod. tried to PM you but could not get it through so here is my number if interested. 661-236-7337. looking for some .30 cal bullets in trade. Rick

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.