Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
local craigslist ad
"I am selling my awesome sword!
It is a rare and very collectible Imperial WWII Japanese artillery officer sword (saber) and scabbard. You sometimes see these in the artillery officer variation but rarely do they show up in the Navy colours.
It is in good condition and seems to have been perhaps issued to a Naval officer as it has been done in grey. This is not the ceremonial dress sword for parades etc. but a real working weapon.
The blade is almost 3 feet long, and the entire weapon is heavy and solid. Not a an old loose thing you are afraid to swing. The pictures may seem to show rust, but there is none on this piece. It is the paint wear and lighting.
If you are a collector already you know what this is. If you are starting your collection this is a good way to begin."
asking $400

"I am selling my Japanese 1945 late war NCO Sword (katana/shin gunto) with the wooden handle (tsuka). These versions were made as the Japanese Imperial army was being pushed back and resources were getting harder to find. Look, ,if the gun doesn't work, this baby is the thing you keep by the bed. No zombie is getting near you with this I promise! It is a great and very solid weapon with a long and deadly blade. (I used to use it for practice myself.)"
asking $550

Full disclosure -I have seen these in person.
The saber appears to have had the blade cleaned since I saw it (was very stained)
The NCO - I was not positive it wasn't a repro.

I suggested he come here with good detailed pics to get an honest appraisal of what he had.
And I offered him $200 to take off his hands.

just curious if y'all can tell if the NCO is real and some ballpark values (his craigslist photos; no others available)

Thanx for your time.

side note - trying to post pictures here anymore sucks!

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
NCO is late war issue and the scabbard appears to have been repainted and maybe the drag comb repaired.

I have seen this NCO sword for sale on fleabay in the last 3 weeks or so. The repainted scabbard is going to hurt the value of the sword.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Jebber,

The first sword is a Type 32 "Otsu" (if it's under 3 ft long), and made for artillery soldiers and foot soldiers - not Navy! I don't get the green pic, maybe it's the light? Price WITH a scabbard is $400-$450 USD.

I agree with Panzer on the Late-war Type 95. I don't see any red flags that would point to a fake. Prices vary between $750 to $1,400, depending who's buying and/or selling.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx guys I appreciate the education.

My apologies if these were on someone's watch list. I don't hunt the auction sites, just saw them on local craigslist.

Thanx again.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Rob!

Doing well, staying busy. I'm still on the boards - just spend most of my time lurking. You enjoying retirement?

Gumby is fine, had a minor flesh wound (tis but a scratch!), and is recuperating.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,303 Posts
Hi Rob!

Doing well, staying busy. I'm still on the boards - just spend most of my time lurking. You enjoying retirement?

Gumby is fine, had a minor flesh wound (tis but a scratch!), and is recuperating.
Oh No! LOL!
Retirement is great! It's too bad that Texas gig didn't work out for me but it was great to meet and spend some time with you. That sure is a beautiful area of Texas you live in! Mamasita's Mexican restaurant in Fredericksburg (near the Nimitz museum) alone, was almost enough to make me move there! :cheers:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.