Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, I am looking for my first pistol to shoot with, do you have any suggestions? I have been thinking about Tokarevs, CZ-52's or a walther of some type (although i dont know much about those) I would prefer something that is very accurate that i can learn how to shoot with (and also handload for). Please give any suggestions you may have on these pistols, or any other that you know of! Thank you.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
.22s are ideal because you can practice, practice, practice, and practice some more to get better before you move to the larger calibers. And it's cheaper, too!

How much do you want to spend on your first handgun?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wouldnt mind $200-$300 not including ammo. Thats one of the reasont the tokarev seems so attractive. It meets the price range, and 7.62x25 is fairly cheap. how accurate are they? how accurate can I realisticaly expect to get? (with a tok or 22) what are realistic lengths to practice at?

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
i dont know much about 9mm, havent looked much into it, are there any accurate 9mm (perferably military) handguns for around $300?
They are a little more cost wise, but you have a whole lot more options. There are more ammo choices, and you can reload.
With a Tok, you are very limited to the ammo.

Here's an Argy Hi-power.
http://www.jgsales.com/product_info...ent-condition-hi-power-model/products_id/4231

http://www.jgsales.com/product_revi...power,-9mm-very-good-condition-hi-power-model

I have one of these and they are great shooters!

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
good advice. 22 first, then look for a nice police trade in.... smith, glock, beretta. i'd go 40 cal over a 9, though.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the advice guys! I suppose il get a 22 of some sort till i get the hang of it, then spend my dollars on something a bit bigger. Also what advantages does 40 cal have over 9mm, and how far should one practice at?

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,415 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys! I suppose il get a 22 of some sort till i get the hang of it, then spend my dollars on something a bit bigger. Also what advantages does 40 cal have over 9mm, and how far should one practice at?
Advantage of 40 over 9mm - it makes a bigger hole. It also costs more.

Distance? depends on just what you are practicing to do. I do most of my handgun practice at 25 yards, as that is far enough to tax my holding. Once I've gotten well dialed in, I'll go to 50 yards, which I think is about as far as most folks (including me) ought to be shooting hand-guns (others have other views, and some of them can demonstrate they are right, especially with things liked scoped single-shots or long-barreled scope-sighted revolvers in chambelrings like 357 Magnum, 41 Magnum, 44 Magnum, the Linebaugh rounds and such).

If you are planning to shoot competiton, depends on which game you are playing - shoot the course for that competition discipline. If you are planning to practice for hunting, then you need to be working on shooting at longer ranges (most shots are close, but once you are good at the longer shots, the close ones get easy). If it is for self-dense, then probably 7 yards will be good a good range for a lot of practice.

PS - your FIRST pistol needs to be a good quality 22RF. I like Ruger autos, which I have been shooting for close to 50 years.

·
Silver Bullet member
34,834 Posts
Hope I can jump in here.

G. Gordon Liddy was a big fan of teaching on a .38 Special revolver, mostly because there was nice midrange wadcutter ammo available, the ammo is not overly expensive, and with mild cast loads, the cases can be reloaded dozens of times.

I never went the .22 route because of a dearth of affordable, C&R-able rimfire handguns.

Mosin44, another one to look at would be some kind of Tokarev, along with an aftermarket 9x19mm barrel. They Toks are more tolerant of junky 7.62x25, and its a quick barrel swap and you can fire 9x19. There are also 9mm barrels for the CZ-52 but that is a beast of a gun to learn on.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,415 Posts
Liddy wasn't WRONG about a 38 Special revolver to learn on. They are mild and accurate with wadcutters, and can later be jazzed up. And the brass is reloadable at prices similar to 22LR. However - I have the impression the querent wants an auto to startt with. If so - either a 1911-type with a 22 conversion kit (like Kimber's) or a good 22 Auto. I like Rugers for that, maybe because that's what i started off on and have shot ever since with pretty complete satisfaction. Especially after i got a Clarke trigger put into my Mark I....

·
Banned
10,843 Posts
Liddy wasn't WRONG about a 38 Special revolver to learn on. They are mild and accurate with wadcutters, and can later be jazzed up. And the brass is reloadable at prices similar to 22LR. However - I have the impression the querent wants an auto to startt with. If so - either a 1911-type with a 22 conversion kit (like Kimber's) or a good 22 Auto. I like Rugers for that, maybe because that's what i started off on and have shot ever since with pretty complete satisfaction. Especially after i got a Clarke trigger put into my Mark I....
Either that or a SIG Mosquito, AIM has it for 300, maybe they can find similar deal locally.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,161 Posts
I would also suggest the 22 for a first shooter. Unless your going to just shoot indoors at 15 yards or so, I would suggest adjustable sights. I wouldn't pick a Milsurp for a first shooter. They are combat guns designed for close range.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts