Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for resources I can check for a specific Lee Enfield. I am looking for 1915 - 1917 Lee-Enfield No. 1 Mark III/Mark III* manufactured at BSA with full military wood (not interested in sporters) - any recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Retreever

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
I am looking for resources I can check for a specific Lee Enfield. I am looking for 1915 - 1917 Lee-Enfield No. 1 Mark III/Mark III* manufactured at BSA with full military wood (not interested in sporters) - any recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Retreever
Are you looking to buy ?

This is a multinational. worlwide forum so are you prepared to import from anywhere, or must it already be in Canada ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Alan, much appreciated - I really don't hold out much hope.

It's for my wife - her great uncle fought with the Royal Newfoundland Regiment and was KIA in Belgium, April 1918. I happen to collect/shoot antique single shot rifles so she is familiar with guns and she thought she would like to have something she could imagine he might have carried.

Roger

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I think that the Canadian components of the British Army had the No. 1 Mk.III* by August 1916. The Newfs would have gone over with Ross rifles (not 100 .per cent sure?!?).

No need to look for one with the Broad Arrow in the "C" as Newfoundland wasn't part of Canada until 1949.

You're on the right track here as there are so many informed and helpful participants. Learn by asking and study and you will probably turn something up...patience will be your ally but you'll have to figure on spending some money for a good one when it's available.

Good luck! The history of the Newfoundland Regiment is fascinating and having a rifle for your wife will be a terrific chance for you both to learn about the rifle and the unit.

I suppose you know that you can see your man's service file? If not I can guide you there.

Set your sights high and ask at "The Rooms"...maybe you could turn up one of the rifles that actually was used by the Newfs...you can always dream!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Tim, thanks for responding actually I am from Newfoundland originally and we have visited The Rooms several times. My wife has gotten copies of all of the records they have for her uncle. We have also visited the regimental museum which is in St Johns at the CAF Base on Quidi Vidi pond , the day we were there we had a chance to talk with an historian who was doing research and he was able provide an interesting tidbit regarding my wife's great uncle - he was apparently a 'scout' involved in night time forays to the German lines.

You are correct in that the regiment was originally issued Ross rifles but were equipped with Lee Enfields after arriving in England and being sent to Ayr, Scotland where they finished their training before going to France. Apparently according to one account the brass 'button' you see on some rifles from the period were initially stamped with NFLD and later with RNR.

Retreever

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I did have a 1916 BSA with Canadian markings (probably not correct for Newfs)...but I gave it to a young cousin a number of years back.

Good luck on your search!

PS...It seems the Newfoundland Regiment was waiting for their Ross rifles when they had to ship out on the Florizel to the UK. It seems like they were issued the Lee-Enfields when they got to the UK and never had to deal with the Ross and it's problems.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Thank you, TIMMCT, for the link to the NFLD article on MILSURPS. I am particularly pleased that the article included a good picture of the buttstock marking disk as I am working on an article on NFLD/RNR rifles.

I do have a Royal Newfoundland Regiment (RNR) rifle here: https://enfield-stuff.com/Pages/4-regimentals/4-1_Queue/4-1-1_Qregimentals.html (Scroll down to Newfoundland).

I used the Newfoundland Regiment (NFLD) and Royal Newfoundland Regiment (RNR) as an example of the problems trying to track down old unit markings. Newfoundland was an independent colony in WWI and so will not show up in any lists of British or Canadian units. The unit did not exist before 1914 - and was disbanded in 1919 - so it's not going to show up in any postwar unit listings either.

That article is here: https://enfield-stuff.com/Pages/4-regimentals/4-1_Queue/4-1-1_Qregimentals.html

Researching old rifles is always interesting - and often frustrating. And sometimes, you just get lucky.

Again, TIMMCT, thanks for the link. I been looking for a picture of an NFLD buttstock marking disk.

Enfield-Stuff

·
Ramen noodles or Bill Gates?
1,991 Posts
I have a 1915 BSA no.1 MK3 and a 1915 BSA no.1 MK3*, but I'm in the U.S. and have no idea how to import/export.
Not sure if either has Canadian markings, but I will be home next week and can look.

Been thinking about passing on 5-600 duplicate, triplicate, quintuplicate rifles for quite a while. Maybe digging these 2 out will give me inspiration to get started.

Keith

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.