Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking for a Japanese company that produced scopes for several companies during the 60's & 70's. The company produced these scopes for A.S.I. (does anyone know what A.S.I. stands for?), Webley, Armsport, Sussex Armoury, etc. just to name a few. All these brands have the same stamp on them next to its optics description.

Company 'logo' stamp that produced the scopes.

Can anyone help me Identify this logo and the company that made these scopes? Also does anyone one know any other distributers that bare this logo?
thanks

·
Registered
244 Posts
Don't think anyone has ever seen that stamp before, all my reference books have nothing like that symbol. We have a few scope experts on here, sure they would have told you a match for name of manufacturer.

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Hello seven :

I have consulted with the famous Edokko regarding another odd machine gun scope marking and mentioned your thread, regarding it he says it has to be post war Japan civilian use optics and not wartime.
Vicasoto

·
Registered
508 Posts
Well,this is just a guess,but one of the Asahi Optical Corporations divisions is called Asahi Spectra Incorporated or A.S.I. ..Asahi started out as a lense manufacturer before WW2 and they are still making lenses under the A.S.I. name,so,maybe....

·
Gold Bullet member
6,156 Posts
I believe Asahi Optical Co., Ltd (Pentax) is not the same company family to Asahi Spectra Co., Ltd.. Both are in the optics area but the name "Asahi" uses different Kanji. 旭光学 vs 朝日分光.
As for the syne marked logo company, as Vic says I have no idea who they are but such logo did not exist within the WW2 time optics makers.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
995 Posts
ASI was a name associated with various airweapons and scopes in the UK back in the 1970's-1980's. Not a Japanese company.

For example the ASI Paratrooper and ASI Sniper.
Both of these airweapons were made by El Gamo in Spain, and I seem to recall that ASI were the importer/distributor in the UK. Sorry I don't recall what company name the ASI letters stood for.
The answer will probably be found in advertisements in old copies of Guns Review, Airgunworld, or Target Gun magazines, circa 1980.

There were lots of different brand names on scopes in the UK back in the 1970's-80's, particularly the cheap 4x20 scopes made for airweapons, the scopes were identical apart from the brand name and were made in Japan, probably by the same company.
I worked in the UK gun trade for a few years from 1979 onwards, and we sold our own brand scopes in the gunshop were I worked, but as my previous employers are now retired I can't ask them which company in Japan made our scopes.

If I find out the Japanese optics company name, or the full company name of ASI I will post again here.

TTM

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oo thanks guys.

I think I got the answer for the ASI, "Anglo Spanish Imports"

does anyone know if Hakko is the Japanese company that made these scopes?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts