Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, all,

Today I received an Arisaka Type 44 rifle that my grandfather owned. When he died he wanted it given to me since I am in the Army now. I have been looking into what I need to fix it up and my main issue is that the rifle is missing the front bayonet housing that the Type 44 is best known for. Does anyone know where I can find one or have one to sell? I don't really even care to put a bayonet on it right now, mostly I want the housing so the upper and lower handguards are secured better. I have looked all over the internet and it seems like this part is really hard to come by.

I dunno the housing style that my rifle requires, but if it helps my rifle has no series marking and the serial number is 590XX (I put the XX because I forgot the last two numbers...I'm not home right now, but the numbers there should tell enough). Any help is appreciated.

Anyone willing to sell can contact me at [email protected].

Thanks yall,

Cole

·
Registered
942 Posts
These are hard to fnd. A few months ago, there was a bayonet housing for sale on one of the on-line gun auctions. I don't recall what type it was.

There are three different housing designs. The correct housing design for your T44 is the 2nd type. Some pictures of a T44 with the 2nd variation bayonet is showed in the 9th posting in the link below. Your T44 is a Kokura (no-series) production. Tokyo/Kokura arsenal manufactured all three designs. Yours being 590xx serial was in the range when the 2nd variation was being produced.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=53774&highlight=Type+44

I hope this helps.

:)

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
COLE

IF THE MOUNTING SCREW HOLES (2) FOR THE BAYONET HOUSING ARE ABOUT 3/4" APART, CENTER - CENTER...YOU HAVE A T44 TYPE 1....IF THEY ARE ABOUT A 1-1/4," APART YOU T44 TYPE 2....IF THEY ARE ABOUT 2"s WITH THE FRONT OF THE STOCK HAVING A SMALL HALF CIRCLE CUT-OUT AROUND THE MOUNTING HOLE, YOU HAVE A T44 TYPE 3...THIS IS THE MOST COMMON T44..THE TYPE 1 IS NEXT AND THE TYPE 2 IS THE HARDEST TO GET...BUT NOT IMPOSSIBLE...I HAVE SEEN ALL THESES BAYONETS, WITH THE HOUSINGS AND SCREWS APPEAR ON EBAY...THIS IS THE MOST COMMON PLACE TO LOOK FOR THEM...BE PATIENT AND GET THE ONE THAT MATCHES THE FINISH & WEAR TO YOUR CARBINE..

MERRY CHRISTMAS
ANY

·
Silver Bullet member
15,678 Posts
Gunheep is correct on the measurements; but not on the quantities produced.
Type 1 about 56,000.
Type 2 about 9,500.
Type 3 about 25,500.

Watch epay, they turn up there pretty often, expect to pay $150 to $225.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts