Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a Type 99 Sniper in a junk shop, around 1997-8. No scope, ground, mismatched, and, missing some small parts. $45.00!!!:eek: Located a scope via Shotgun News. But couldn't afford $800.00 for a scope, to put on a $45.00 rifle. Traded it to an older gentleman, at a Biluxi MS gunshow. The man had been collecting since he was in the PTO. Said he was terminal, and selling off his collection, but couldn't pass on a 99 sniper. (He sold 60+ bayonets in one lot, for $30.00 each!) There were several serious collectors of Japanese militaria there. Didn't catch any names, but almost had to be some of you guys. No Vic, I didn't copy down the ser.# Anyone here have that rifle? Vague question I know. The latest thread on snipers made me think about it.:rolleyes: M.P.

·
Kryptonite member
5,764 Posts
What year did you trade/sell the sniper?

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,304 Posts
I'm still looking for Nagoya T-99 S/N 43. Bought it in a pawn shop in the late '60s for $35. Got away from me somewhere along the line. I figured then that scopes would be impossible to find. I remember my Dad saying 43 must be the year it was made ;)
Was ground with a refinished stock (not by me) Would be nice to at least know where it is.

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What year did you trade/sell the sniper?
It was around 1997, or 98. The man I traded to was a WWII Vet., and had been diagnosed terminal. At the same show, I bought two Type 38s, for $160.00 for the pair. One was a Trainer. Both were matched, & Mummed, (not the trainer) With cleaning rods, DCs, AND slings!!! Sold the Trainer to one of the other collectors in the show. His friend tried for the rest of the show to pry the Type 38 from my hands. Didn't work. I still have it. He said that it was the only Type 38 he didn't have . Wish I would have caught some names. M.P.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Does the name Glen Cook ring any bells?

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does the name Glen Cook ring any bells?
The name kinda rings some bells, but none of them are in Biluxi MS.:confused: I only caught one guys name, and have forgotten it! He was my age. All the other guys were older. The one I traded with, was even older, and would have been in his 70's at the time. Kinda smaller built, and very pleasant to talk to. Softspoken. Only time I ever traded up, after a deal had been struck. Traded the Sniper for a Type 44. After we exchanged rifles, and shook hands, I looked down on the table. There, was a Type 97 grenade. "I don't s'pose you would throw in that thar grenade uh?" I sez. And he sez, "Aw, alright". Knowing what I know now, now I know why he agread.:eek: M.P.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.