Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Iraq? :D All joking aside, I think you'll have a hard time finding a legitimate one as CentCom prohibts anyone from bring weapons back from theater. You might get lucky and find a Helwan with a Tariq slide and grips though. I have seen a few of those on the market from time to time.

·
Silver Bullet member
28,846 Posts
I thought a handful managed to come home after Desert Storm, but don't know the details.

I know firearms are prohibited, but have people been able to bring home parts?

BTW, there has to be a way to change that policy, who do we put pressure on?

·
Registered
663 Posts
They are out there, brought back by guys that knew what they were risking by sneaking them home. It's not like WWII and 'Nam where we were allowed to bring them back, guys who really didn't have a huge interest in guns could have brought them back and then they end up on the secondary market. Not the case with Iraq. You would have to be a pretty big gun nut to risk sneaking one back and getting caught, and in my opinion they would not part with it after all that. Good luck with your search.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,618 Posts
Scarce...very!

I did find a 9mm Tariq in a pawn shop a few years ago. Paid $225 for it...probably was a bring back from the first Gulf War. I gave it to a friend of mine when he returned from the sand pile last year...he deserved it..and had earned it.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I thought a handful managed to come home after Desert Storm, but don't know the details.

I know firearms are prohibited, but have people been able to bring home parts?

BTW, there has to be a way to change that policy, who do we put pressure on?
ain't gona happen it ain't a war zone. afghanistan is so you can bringback SOME firearms from there but not Iraq. now when we go into Iran ......

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
All of the few that came back the first time around came from Officers that were in and out early on and very late in the war, and at least one diplomat that I know of.

I have parts that I am not willing to part with that will go on an Egyptian when I find one that is good enough.

I have a friend who paid $1700 for his.

Once in a while you hear of that $225 pawn shop find but I have never seen that myself.

·
Registered
663 Posts
When they are for sale they go extremely quick and for big bucks. This one cost $3000, but it is mint and came with an Iraqi marked holster.

·
Registered
248 Posts
An older guy that does the local show says his son brought back 5 from Desert Storm. Just put them in a backpack and carried them home with him. Did not get searched when he got back. So I know there are at least 6 of them in the states casue I know of another.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I don't want to burst your bubble but we all have heard those stories more than once before.

Normally I would give it a fraction of a possibility just because I believe that almost anything is possible.

When I left there (both times) we were stripped down and given new issue and told to leave everything we had on the deck because it was "contaminated".

The only people I know of that got things out of the country had rank, were early in the war or late in the war, or had diplomatic immunity.

I sent my parts home and after I sent them home we were told not to send any more parts because someone else got caught trying to smuggle a gun as parts.

We were told no souvenirs of any kind. (for the second time at that point)

Now, if you could get that fella to produce several pistols I will have to eat the Crow.

That is the trick about those stories.

The people who tell them always have a reason for not producing the item in question.

I work with three separate retail shops and one of the shop owners is constantly fabricating reality in regards to what he has, what he paid for it, and how he got it.

This is just the way some people operate.

I don't understand the reason but I am familiar with the behavior.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
Neat looking pistol. To bad more were not allowed to bring back captured weapons.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Where can you get that medallion? Even a repro? Our Bn picked up ~100 Iraqi pistols on raids, one was turned in for the Bn museum [and taken by Bde for theirs]. I hope some of these got home! The MPs shake Joes down pretty hard but I got several souvenier pieces of shrapnel I picked out of my M1114, a belt from a PK fired at ME [haji can't shoot] and an RPG sight- told the mail clerk it was half of some Haji binoculars. Technically the only shrapnel you can bring back is that removed from your body......

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Some were probably brought back from the 1st Gulf War in violation of General Order 1. I recall walking into the Division G-2 shop after the end of the war (we were still in Iraq). One of the intell bubba's saw the SF tab on my uniform and asked if I knew anything about bolt action rifles. I told him "yeah". Turns out they (the intel folks) wanted to know how to remove the bolt from a Persian Mauser rifle. I showed them how. Then they told me that it was the Division Commanders war trophy. I said, "Really, and what about General Order number one?". They looked a little blank and replied, "we don't talk about that'.

Seriously, unless it goes into a museum NOTHING could/can legally be brought back from Iraq. This current war in Iraq is even stricter. In the 1st Gulf War you could have gotten away with bringing home a pair of Tariq grips-not now. It is so strict here that NO parts whatsoever can be brought back. For instance the military police in the IZ had a sale of confiscated stuff they got in a raid (sunglasses, MOLLE gear, folding knives, clothes etc). I bought an AKM handguard with Picatinny rail that had been made in the US. It's never even been mounted on a rifle. It is just a piece of plastic. I can't bring it back. That's just the way it is.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,574 Posts
Someone recently posted a pistol, and official papers to allow bringback, from the first gulf war. Individual was a high ranking officer, 0-6 IIRC. There has to be an official way for some folks to get the stuff back. How did President Bush get his gold plated pistol back if there is "no way".

I suggest everyone write their congressman. It is silly that GIs have been allowed bring backs until now. They handed out pistols, rifles and swords in the pacific after VJ day. If the GI is an otherwise legal gun owner, and follows the procedures, he/she should be allowed a bring back. To require otherwise is politically correct BS.

The guys in Afganistan can bring home pre-98 stuff, according to some posts plus an SF armorer I spoke with. This is pure BS restrictions on Iraq and our guys deserve us, and all gun owners to get on the back of the Congress to allow bring backs of legally importable firearms. This is just silly and due to spineless politicians.

All the reasons to not allow bring backs could be eliminated by simple rules. Captured guns are turned in. Intel examines and clears them as legit seizures and OK to release. A lottery/drawing takes place for legit US owners. The guns are imported and marked to BATF satifaction and the lottery winners get their prize when they return home. Simple and should even keep the gun control AHs happy.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
It is un-holy BULLSHIT that our guys/gals cannot do this. Like has been siad before, we allow them to use firearms to protect us, and trust them enough to carry firearms in an enviroment filled with emotion and passion, but they cannot bring one home? Hell, even deactivated?

Sad thing is, it will only get worse....Ironic that one of the excuses used by the superiors and those in charge is we don't want o appear as conqeurers or trophy hunters.....That it might look bad....But wait, doesn't that mean our grandfathers, fathers, and brothers who fought in korea and WWII, and vietnam look the same way? Doesn't that mean THEY are dishonorable, and just trophy hunters and congeurers?

Just infuriates me. Ha, also because I'd love a tariq.....

·
Registered
451 Posts
When I was on LSA Anaconda back in '04-'05, the EOD unit adjacent to my motorpool had one wall in their day-room damn near covered in captured small-arms and anti-tank weapons. There was a gold-plated AK folder, a chrome-plated PSL, Combloc pistols & AK variants, an MP5 and PPSH (IIRC), RPG-7 launcher, another man-port anti-tank missle launcher (USSR Spigot, or French maybe?), and other various bolt-actions.

I asked a guy over there what they were going to do with them when they redeployed. He said "We're gonna have a Thermite cook-out." I felt like puking.

Before we redeployed, I had taken a .50 (plain ball) cartridge off my M2's belt, on my last gun-truck mission, and pulled the round out. I then drilled a hole through the base, buffed it to a high shine, and ran my silver necklace through it.
Upon reaching Kuwait, and having gone through 5 customs searches by that point, not one customs guy had said anything about my .50 pendant. I had even pulled it out and asked several screeners if it was OK. They told me aside from it not being AR670-1 compliant, it was fine.

But at the final customs screen in Kuwait, one of the screeners passed his detecto-wand over my chest and had me pull out my chain & tags. Upon seeing the .50 round, I thought his eyes were going to bug out of his head. Instead of quietly telling me that I couldn't maintain possession of my single war-trophy, he yelled at full volume; "UXO! Got a guy here trying to sneak UXOs!"

The NCOIC & OIC came running over at full tilt, probably expecting a mortar shell or grenade. They saw the .50 round, and while the OIC was trying to hold back laughter as he walked away, the NCOIC proceeded to tear me a new one about smuggling UXOs, and violation of GO1A & AR670-1. Afterwards the NCOIC started congradulating the snotty-nosed reservist private who discovered my crime for doing a good job.... I thought they were going to have a circle **** over it. :rolleyes:

So I handed over my .50cal pendant, and then was sequentially torn several more new ones (along with being threatened with an Article-15) by several of my own unit NCOs..... none of them my own sqd. ldr, whom I had asked before putting the .50 round on my chain in Iraq, had seen me ask the prior customs guys about it, and took no steps to stick up for me.

However.... I do know of several guys who smuggled back broken-down firearms and/or parts and empty Iraqi mortar shells by handing them off to KBR personel, and then having the KBR guys bring the stuff back in their own personal goods connexes. KBR didn't have to go through nearly as stringent of a customs shakedown when packing their connexes, and a few of them would smuggle in or out of country, anything you wanted for $100.

In Iraq, where there's a will..... especially if you've got connections with the civilian contractors.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
I've seen a couple around here in the last few years. One guy wanted $3K for one, other was $350.00. Been a bunch of NG guy's and civilian contractors from here in the Sand Pile.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I posted the Desert Storm bringback papers. Here they are again.
Yeah, but I also notice in there a big fat "N/A" in the authorizing officers signature block. And since GO 1 was the order of a four star general I don't think an authorization from the HHD of an MP Battalion can countermand the CINC's directive.:cool: I wouldn't want to bet my career on that paper.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts