Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the hundreds of options out there, I'm looking for suggestions on a quality flashlight to mount on my rifle. RIS rails.

I'm in college, so budget is small, around $100 or so. I know you get what you pay for, but with textbooks averaging $500, I simply can't afford to drop $200+ on a flashlight right now.

I use this rifle outdoors in the brush at night, so I need something with outdoor brightness and decent battery life.

What are you guys running?

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
9,170 Posts
After years trying and fielding different types of weapon mounted lights (WMLs), I have settled on Sure Fire products. I currently run a P3X Fury Tactical and am very satisfied. Truth be told, I'd probably be fine with the P2X (1,000 lumens for the former, 500 for the latter), but I really like the ability of the P3X to fully illuminate targets well beyond 100 yards. You're right, you DO get what you pay for, so buy once, cry once.

Your budget is somewhat restrictive if you figure in a decent mount, which you'll need anyway. There are a number of lights available from secondary sources so don't be put off at the retail listed prices on lights. We're currently in the 'Golden Age' for light development, which is a very competitive and swiftly evolving market. There's great stuff coming out, and a lot of guys who want the 'next cool thing' are selling off very lightly used, high quality gear because it's not the latest and greatest. Your local firearms forums are better sources for this than the Gunboards Trader, generally speaking.

Regarding battery life, most of these run CR123 batteries, in which case Sure Fire is again at the top of the heap. However, if you run your lights hard, you might want to consider spending about $25-30 bucks on a battery charger, and invest in some rechargeable batteries. My family uses a lot of batteries in the AA, AAA, CR123 and 18650 range, and they're all rechargeable. They cost more up front, but think about all of the stuff you use batteries for around the home (flashlights, TV remotes, X-BOX controllers for the kids, WMLs, hand-held GPS units, et al.) and you'll see a cost savings in no time.

Hope this helps,
Pat

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you want a good light on a budget check out the Ultrafire lights. It's all I have used for work for the last 10 years. Very bright cree led. I use the WF-5018 and rechargable batteries but they have ones that use the cr123 as well. Under 20 bucks on EBay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.