Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm glad to have found this forum! I did some reenacting through high school at a local museum and through that had the opportunity to check out all kinds of small arms and, out of everything, came to the conclusion that the Arisaka rifles were and are the most beautiful and unique line of rifles i've ever seen.

I've checked out pawn shops, gun stores and every place I could think of out to see if I could get my hands on a reasonably priced, functional type 38 (preferably,) BUT no luck. Most of you guys seem to be avid collectors and really knowledgeable about where to find the kind of rifle i'm looking for. Any one have some good leads as to where I can look for a 38 around the Austin, TX area or have one that they'd be willing to think about selling to me?

Thanks much!

·
Silver Bullet member
31,827 Posts
If you are still a minor, then there is not much anyone can do.

If you are 18-21, you might want to find a good gun shop willing to accept/perform transfers for you. From what I remember, they either charge a flat fee or a percentage of the sale. But then you have to pay sales tax and do the paperwork as if you were buying it from a shop.

Over 21? You may want to look into a C&R FFL.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Type 38

Hello Aryeh. I agree with Fushigi Ojisan. If you're over 21 then get a C+R license. Gun shows have been my best places. I got both a type 38 (with Mum) and a great type 99 at gun shows. You can also look online but you'll have to pay a dealer for the transfer fee. With the C+R they can be sent to your door! I hope this helps.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Aryeh,
there used to be a gunshop on South Congress operating under the name of "Just Guns," owned by a nice guy named Rob Key, he was a straight up fellow, and I bought and transferred a lot of guns through him. Was a class III dealer, and let me shoot a lot of his sub-guns in the backroom firing range. He may still be there.
Another is McBrides on North Lamar, there are quite of few folks there that know their stuff, and may be able to help you.
If you are over 18, let me know, I may be able to help you out with a face to face transfer.
I lived in Austin, or worked there for about 40 years, my son still lives there.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Any one have some good leads as to where I can look for a 38 around the Austin, TX area or have one that they'd be willing to think about selling to me?
Welcome to the board. I am in Pflugerville which is a stones throw from Austin. I had a mismatched type 38 carbine with mum for sale locally at one time and may readvertise again in the near future. Maybe we can work a deal? The pics of the carbine can be found in my Numrich thread. It is the darker wood rifle. PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!

Man I'm impressed with the fast responses! It's good to have some help with this as I've wanted to get my hands on an arisaka for some time now. I am 20 so getting a C+R is out but I think my boss may have one (I know he buys alot of guns.) mbarrad, saw that stock remake you did; wicked work! Looked really nice. Since you're in pflugerville you'll know about the nimitz museum in fredricksburg-- where I had my had my first encounter with the rifle of my dreams. Unfortunately they wouldn't sell me one...

What i'm really looking for is a long 38, preferrably matching parts but as long as it's a good shooter I don't mind having some mismatched numbers. heck, if i got the opportunity for a long 99 I might not be able to resist that either. my budget is around $250 now but gimmie some time to put aside a little more and i'm game for even $400 or more. honestly whatever it takes to get me set with what I want, though that means i'd have to do some saving.

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
You should buy Military Rifles of Japan or Frank Allen's book on Type 38s while you are saving your cash. It will just improve your appreciation even more! Oh, and don't discount the T38 carbine; they are a lot of fun to shoot.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,733 Posts
Type 38 nearly worn away, but still blue= possible reblue; that coupled with the poor pictures, if it goes over the current bid, forget it.

By the way, links to open auctions are against board rules, have you read the rules?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey, dangit, forgot about the auction link rule. Kinda got excited when I saw one that didn't look half bad. I hate the whole auction system, anyway (i've lost alot of battles on ebay...) I've even seen some mislabled on a website like that; like a 99 advertised as a 38 or whatever. My feeling is to stay away from those ones, too.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the best way to come across a worthwhile rifle is to check around gun stores and ask them to keep an eye out for me? I guess this is a WTB, but if anyone wants to cull a 38 out of their collection or something i'd be more than wicked excited to talk about it!

·
Silver Bullet member
15,733 Posts
Watch the trader here; I predict the guy who just listed some 99s will be listing some 38s in a day or three.

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
Hey, dangit, forgot about the auction link rule. Kinda got excited when I saw one that didn't look half bad. I hate the whole auction system, anyway (i've lost alot of battles on ebay...) I've even seen some mislabled on a website like that; like a 99 advertised as a 38 or whatever. My feeling is to stay away from those ones, too.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the best way to come across a worthwhile rifle is to check around gun stores and ask them to keep an eye out for me? I guess this is a WTB, but if anyone wants to cull a 38 out of their collection or something i'd be more than wicked excited to talk about it!
My best purchases have come from local firearm auction houses. I go and let the Colt guys buy their Colt stuff and just quietly check on the Japanese firearms. Of course, not every town has an auction house, but keep an eye open and spread the word of your interest. if there are a lot of retiree's where you live, you might consider an add in the Penny Saver, local paper or in a community clubhouse.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,303 Posts
I hate the whole auction system, anyway (i've lost alot of battles on ebay...) I've even seen some mislabled on a website like that; like a 99 advertised as a 38 or whatever. My feeling is to stay away from those ones, too.

I've obtained some wonderful pieces off the auction sites & sometimes those sellers that don't know a T-38 from a T-99 sell some nice stuff.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Private gun sales are legal in Texas. Try the flea markets, garage sales and even Craigslist. I got my type 99s at a flea market for about 20-25 bucks each several years ago. Those will cost more $$$ now; but it's still cheaper than a gun store...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.