Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for an AK .223 parts kit and was wondering where you can get one?
All the sites I've been to have Romy kits and some have fal kits. I'm begining to feel it
would be easyer to buy a.223 Sagia and change the stock and add a pistol grip

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
The only affordable .223 parts kits were the Yugo M90/95 U/F series (found at ORF at $450), but try to find a receiver now. ORF has Yugo Krinkov kits but they are $999.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Everyone seems happy with Bocefus' kits. Truth be told, all the kits seem new with the only diff. being price. I bought mine from Centerfire in Dec. and it was one of the last ones.

Re: the rcvr - call NDS as they were talking of a third run. Their last run of 200 pieces (the 2nd) sold out very quickly, but they know there aren'y many M-90s out there so they may be focusing on Romanian rcvrs and whatnot. Talk with Harlan. (I am assuming you need a rcvr - maybe you don't!)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Monkeyboy, Thanks for the link. One more question , what length is the barrel on that
kit ? It looks kind of short.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I bought a kit form Bocefus and it was OUTSTANDING! I built it on an NDS Y556 receiver.
The Barrel length is about 16" IIRc

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I received a Bocefus kit a while ago- it was mint! I didn't he had had any left. According to Harlan you can use a NDS-8 5.45 RPK-74 receiver to make a fixed stock M90 rifle. I was thinking that would make an interesting project.

·
Registered
258 Posts
As usual, I agree with Mriddick. It would be cheaper to just by the Saiga, or find a SAR-3 or heck you could even buy a WASR-3 and rebuild it using a different receiver if that was what you wanted.

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
51,102 Posts
But not as cool.

I figured a yugo to build would cost about $550-600 ($400 kit, $100 Receiver, $50-100 in USA parts), a 223 Saiga is $260, USA parts another $50-100, add a feed ramp and you're good to go with galil mags for a total of $310-360. I figure with the $200-300 savings I can buy alot of cool add ons. I like the yugo but for a first time build I don't think the Saiga is a bad start, it's easier to build, cheaper and the end result can be just as neat if done right. I guess it comes down to what you want and how much you want to put up for the end product. Another option to consider is the CAI galil, those have milled receivers, folders and the other evil features and will run just slightly over what a Yugo would cost to build. I like mine alot (golani sporter really) and consider them a very good deal considering the standard features.

V

·
0 Posts
The Yugo is a very nice rifle kit when built right .Takes a bit more effort . But well worth it . Mine is very accurate .out to 125 yards ,I hit everything I point it at ,the size of a soda can .I use plain old wolf 223 ammo . It likes it quite well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
ARC , You mentioned the WARS-3 and replacing the receiver , does it have a poor quality
receiver? Are buyers having problems with this rifle due to it? Does anybody here own
a sagia ? Is it a very well made rifle? Thanks for the info guys.

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
51,102 Posts
I own a few Romy 223's the receivers are fine, I think ACR was saying you could buy one as only a parts kit if you wanted and still save money...

I have a saiga and it's a great rifle, they start around $260 new and can be upgraded as far as you want.

Again it's not that I have anything against the Yugo, but if it's a 223 AK you want there are cheaper and easier ways to get one.

·
Registered
258 Posts
No, the receivers are fine. Some people don't like them because they don't have dimples in the mag well area like a SAR3 or other AK has. The Saiga has better fit and finish than a WASR3 and would look much better out of the box. You would need to add a feed ramp, move the trigger guard back to where it should be for a pistol grip, switch out the trigger parts, etc. on the Saiga, but would not for a WASR. It really is apples and oranges. I think either one would make a great rifle with a little work. Also, either one would be less work than building one from scratch.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the info guys. I'll post pics after I have decided what I'm going to get and
finished building it.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,265 Posts
There is a certain amount of satisfaction in building your own rifle from a kit and it's hard to put a cost/value on that satisfaction. Like everything else, it's an individual thing. The Yugo 5.56 M90 kits are about as "new" as you're likely to find and the ones from Bocefus are exceptional. The Yugos M90s are blued and blued nicely, something you'll not see in most other euro-trash AKs. I built one on the NDS Y556 receiver and there is simply no comparison between it and a SAR 3. But if you're not ready to tackle the ins and outs of rolling your own---it's an expensive kit to start out with, it might be wise to take one of the other routes mentioned.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts