Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend with a gun shop has a few 91/30s and for some reason I'm considering another one.. I have 5 and will have to sneak into the house. Anyhow the numbers on the magazine plate, but plate, bolt and barrel all match. There are no line outs.
But how can I tell if the old numbers were ground off and restruck? It is marked "Molot" dated 1938 with stock dings and good metal. How common are matching numbers...that is assuming these are not stamped to match?

·
Registered
17,732 Posts
refurbished original matching rifles are about 2-5% of all refurbs out there. I know folks here that go through crates and crates and only come back with a one or two. Dollars to donuts - the rifle in question will have most if not all of its parts are forced stamped matched.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks that is what I thought but how can I tell if its force stamped or not?
Will the die be different or should I look for grind marks with a magnifying glass?
Did they usually bother to force stamp all parts including the butt plate?
The bayonet does not match... not that expected it to.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
One good way to determine if your Mosin's numbers are ground and re-stamped is to look at the numbers on the side of the bolt. A unground bolt number will look like the top bolt in this picture, with a sharp step at the base of the bolt handle. A ground bolt number will look similar to the bottom bolt with little or no step remaining and obvious signs of grinding or polishing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.