Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, there's a luger for sale near me and I don't have one in my collection so was hoping for some advice. No import marks. Matching except for mags/holsters. Probable refinish. Holster is unmarked, maybe Polish. He's asking $1200. Here are the pics I have. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,260 Posts
yes, I'd say it has been refinished, and $1200 seems high, but not really in todays market, even a heavily buffed (not this one) goes for 1K.
A 1912 is neat since it doesn't have a stock lug (started in 1913)

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Ann ---- That is a good looking shooter luger but that is only what it is and is a refinished one at that. $1200 seems high for a shooter and if I were you I offer somewhere around $900 to $1000 but no more. A couple years ago I picked up my second shooter luger for $400. It is either a Russian Capture or east German police pistol and has "xx" out original numbers with re-stamped all matching numbers. It is an excellent shooter piece.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
To echo others, it has very obviously been refinished. What jumps out at me and I'm sure the other posters are a couple of things:

1.) Small parts (i.e. trigger, safety lever, magazine release button, etc) should be a golden straw color, or otherwise bare metal if finish is worn heavily. It is clearly the same color as the pistol, and that type of finish wasn't applied to small parts until partway through 1937.

2.) Certain stamps were applied/struck after the part had been blued. With early Lugers (again, prior to 1937), the serial number on the underside of the barrel and front face of the frame should have a tracing or 'halo' surrounding the number from where the act of striking with a harder metal and subsequent deformation caused the finish to become altered. Sometimes hard to tell from pictures and lighting, but here it's clearly lacking.

3.) Holster is missing the flap and a strap has been added. Not only that, the shape of the magazine pouch on the front (much wider than a luger magazine, with the rounds stored at such an angle) suggests its for another German semi auto, likely a P35 VIS or GP35 Hi Power. In any case, its condition makes repair not financially feasible and so it's value contributes negligibly.

I didn't see any magazines, but those can contribute $25 for low end reproductions, up to $1000+ for, say, an O37 inspected Mauser type 2 with Kriegsmarine (Navy) property number for example. Average of $150.

Also didn't see a tool, but again $10 for repro up to $500+ depending on marking.

For this pistol...if you're only going to buy one, I would pass unless you care very little about its collector value and just want a luger for the sake of having a Luger and to take to the range. If that's the case $1200 is definitely a fair price, but I'd feel better at $1000, or hold out for one that at least has original finish, and preferably a matching magazine.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice/information. Comes with 2 aftermarket mags and spring/firing pin kit.

With regards to the finish, do you all think it was refinished by an arsenal or by an individual?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
It isn't possible to tell where/when it was refinished, and it shouldn't matter.
The only caveat I would add is that in some cases, that question is both pertinent and answerable. For instance, if it was refinished after capture by the Russians, or British - it is still refinished, but where it was a result of its military provenance, it isn't the same as if a GI had captured then chromed it stateside in his garage.

In this case I agree, no obvious Russian (large, flattened 'X' and add'l electropenciled SN#s) or British (myriad postwar proofing stamps, crowns, tons of pressure etc) and it would make little difference regardless.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was just curious if there were any signs one way or another. I'm pretty new to German arms, especially Lugers. I know more about Garand / Carbine finishes. Different countries refinished them at time IE Greece, Austria, and they have signs.

·
Silver Bullet member
5,561 Posts
The only caveat I would add is that in some cases, that question is both pertinent and answerable. For instance, if it was refinished after capture by the Russians, or British - it is still refinished, but where it was a result of its military provenance, it isn't the same as if a GI had captured then chromed it stateside in his garage.

In this case I agree, no obvious Russian (large, flattened 'X' and add'l electropenciled SN#s) or British (myriad postwar proofing stamps, crowns, tons of pressure etc) and it would make little difference regardless.
viz. Crossed sceptres and letters = Birmingham Proof House. BNP = Birmingham Nitro Proof etc.

Light Revolver Air gun Trigger Everyday carry

Hand Finger Bumper Composite material Rectangle

·
Registered
111 Posts
The holster WAS an original P-38 holster. Bubba killed it. Knifed it to death. No added value there.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the help. I picked it up for $900 with a set of aftermarket parts. Even the grips match. Shame it was refinished. Here are a couple more pictures. Some small parts seem blued.

I did a quick GunBroker search and the seller bought this for 1350 + fees, shipping, etc. Poor guy lol.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts