Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mt buddy has a Golani on consignment at his gunshop for a good price, so I thought I would check it out. Nice shape, finish 99.9%, comes with extra mags but no bayonet lug, $549. Throws up nice, great sight picture. That is the good news. Now the bad! I wondered why a new weapon is for sale at such a reduced price.

The rear sight assembly is mounted to the rear of the top cover just like a Galil. I wiggle the assembly and cover up and down and side to side enough to know that maintaining zero beyond 6 MOA is unlikely....

While I am sure it could be strategically pinch and squeezed, the tight groups of my IO have me spoiled. From what I remember of the original Galils I handled back in the day, they did not have this problem, to this extent at least.

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
56,652 Posts
Mt buddy has a Golani on consignment at his gunshop for a good price, so I thought I would check it out. Nice shape, finish 99.9%, comes with extra mags but no bayonet lug, $549. Throws up nice, great sight picture. That is the good news. Now the bad! I wondered why a new weapon is for sale at such a reduced price.

The rear sight assembly is mounted to the rear of the top cover just like a Galil. I wiggle the assembly and cover up and down and side to side enough to know that maintaining zero beyond 6 MOA is unlikely....

While I am sure it could be strategically pinch and squeezed, the tight groups of my IO have me spoiled. From what I remember of the original Galils I handled back in the day, they did not have this problem, to this extent at least.
One of the biggest compliants of the CAI golani rifles I hear about is a very tight receiver cover, oddly many talk of filing down their covers or swapping them out till they get one that is easy to remove. This of course is a huge mistake for exactly the reason you pointed out. I've stated before I believe in a few years the market will be full of golani's that don't shoot worth a darn but have easily removed covers (after their owners "fixed" them) ;) . Actually if it checks out (look at the ejector or locking lugs for signs of softness) it might be still be a good deal, all it takes to "fix" them back is a peice of thin tin bent over the front of the cover where it locks into the rifle. IMO considering all you get under $550 is a very good buy for a Golani, I like mine alot.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,903 Posts
how many extra mags? if it come with 3 or 4 mags, that's a steal. also look on the b ottom of the reciever and see if there is a small F.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What does the small F mean? I considered trading my IO, but it is a consignment gun, so I have to have cash. He will do a 30 day layaway for me, though. What else should I look for? Lots of inexpensive Galil steel mags out there, now, too.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I can't recall all the details... but the "F" mark means that the gun has been reworked or "fixed" by the mfg. I think the rework/correction had something to do with the bolt/firing pin maybe. A quick search of the forum should provide more details.

You're read a mix bag about these rifles... some love'em others have problems.

BTW, I have a "F" marked rifle and it is by far the most accurate AK style weapon in my stable.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Checked it out better today. It is a definite no-go! No F, rear of firing pin starting to deform and ejector beat up, so expect soft steel. Also, the top cover reciever fit is a mess. The front is tight, but there is a 1/16 inch gap below the bottom of the top cover allowing the bizarre amount of wiggle. I'd have to do more than a shim. Maybe drill and tap both side of the groove and us eset screws or weld some spots. Classic has them at a good price, I'd just get one from them if I take the plunge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.