Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine showed me his brothers K98, brought back from France at the end of the war, it's a 147 code dated 1940. ser. is 2447 and I think a fractur b. only the small parts match, bolt and trigger guard/floorplate do not. Sadly, it's suffered some neglect over the years with almost no finish left on it, except the bolt and floorplate. Very odd duff cut, it starts just ahead of the receiver, and angles down towards the muzzle, about 3.5" long. Also is in a laminated stock. On top of the barrel just ahead of the receiver is S39 D186. Are these the steel and makers codes? He's still trying to figure out if he wants to sell it, but has priced it with a bayo he picked up in italy and ammo pouch at $400. Would you guys snag it for that price? tia......

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
Wow....that's a hard one.....it's a bad duffle cut....and mismatched....but bayonet ads some....I would feel better at 325 myself...unless you really wanted it....but would be real tempted to pass unless the bayonet proved to be something interesting...hard to say....

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I thought the stock was about junk, things don't quite add up on the rifle. I wish I had a way to get some pics of it. You could slide the front part of the stock up quite a way obviously, and there was absolutly no bluing on the barrel, which I found odd. The floorplate was fairly well blued,along with the bolt and the mag. follower was almost pristine. The "story" was that his brother, who was in the AAC, got this from a buddy that was in ordanance. The Bayonet he found himself in italy, when they over ran a German depot area. He said it was brand new when he picked it up, although I have yet to see it. If the barrel was better I might be a bit more interested, but it's fairly worn. Who made the 147 codes?

·
Banned
7,240 Posts
The stock can be repaired.
Good bayo's go for at least $100 and some makers for more than $200.
I think I would have to buy it at $400.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts