Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For your viewing pleasure this Sunday afternoon. My only two P38's in my collection. With being a little late to the party on the German surplus I thought I would post 43 war year w hard shell holster and one later model police version. I must admit I am a novice with these pistols but I do like to shoot them.

Air gun Trigger Grey Gun barrel Revolver

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood
Wood Rectangle Grey Bumper Automotive exterior
Trigger Air gun Wood Gun barrel Door
Automotive tire Bicycle part Motor vehicle Cylinder Gas
Wood Grey Font Denim Metal

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
They are nice handling pistols aren't they. I would like to have kept a couple of the many that have been in my possession at different times. Ahh well, at least I enjoyed them then, however, who knows what the days ahead might bring, eh?

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Thats a very nice BYF 43 P-38. and a late production 43 at that. According to the (P) block suffix. That pistol was produced in late Jan. or early Feb. 1944. I know it might sound weird since the slide is dated 43. But some late 43 production slipped over into early 44.

Your pistol still has the early Mauser 135 eagle stamps. In 1944 they switched over to the WaA135 stamp.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats a very nice BYF 43 P-38. and a late production 43 at that. According to the (P) block suffix. That pistol was produced in late Jan. or early Feb. 1944. I know it might sound weird since the slide is dated 43. But some late 43 production slipped over into early 44.

Your pistol still has the early Mauser 135 eagle stamps. In 1944 they switched over to the WaA135 stamp.
Thank you for the info. I must admit it is in better mfg condition then I would have thought. By the end of 43 the Germans were in retreat in Russia... their major cites and mfg areas had been fire bombed and the list goes on. Interesting history.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
The other (P-38) is called a P-1 (post war copy of the P38) These began production in 1958/59 and had alloy frames (not steel like war time P38's) Your P-1 was made in April 1979, and has some interesting markings.

I'm not overly familiar with post war P38's but your pistol appears to have a ERTD BELGRADE marking stamped on the right side of the slide. Did this see use in Yugoslavia ?? hopefully somebody more knowledgeable on these can answer that.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The other (P-38) is called a P-1 (post war copy of the P38) These began production in 1958/59 and had alloy frames (not steel like war time P38's) Your P-1 was made in April 1979, and has some interesting markings.

I'm not overly familiar with post war P38's but your pistol appears to have a ERTD BELGRADE marking stamped on the right side of the slide. Did this see use in Yugoslavia ?? hopefully somebody more knowledgeable on these can answer that.
I did not know that about the Belgrade stamp.... as for this being Yugo. I can not say for sure. Maybe others can chime in , the newer pistol came from the last batch that AIM had a few years back. Any one else have this on their pistols?

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
I like your byf 43 and its holster. I have two byf 43 P.38's and five other war time pieces ac 42, svw 45, cyq 43, and one byf 44 and one ac 44.. I don't have any P 1's yet. I really enjoy shooting the P.38 pieces with my own reloads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts