Gunboards Forums banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Frank...the 3006 is indeed never a mistake and my current LR rifle is 3006. That said, it does not have a muzzle brake and its kicking me darn hard...bruised shoulder every weekend. I got the Little Bastard brake to install but the drama is the fall weather is best for shooting so do I stuff the rifle to gunsmith right now and miss good weather shooting or do I wait till Late November when our 1000 yd range closes for 2 months of maintenance and use that "down time" to have barrel threaded and brake installed. I chose the later course of action full well knowing the beating I will and do get every weekend firing this 3006 but ...
the rifle shoots like a laser beam and is amazingly accurate so I can justify the misery of recoil. Well , I say that but after 30 shots , every Monday I got a bruised shoulder and a bit of regret having that.

For me: recoil or not , 3006 is never a mistake for my requirements. I am shooting mere 178 gr Hornady BTHP and getting recoil bashed....I am not loading up 208 grain Bergers and be totally "Beasted to death".

Yeah, big boys can take recoil and I am not measuring up. And yeah, my 458 Win Mag, 375 H&H, 8mm Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag are all retired....no brake can tame them enough for me to sustain that abuse anymore. 2 rds of 458 and I am wasted ... destroyed for shooting the rest of the day.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Frank...the 3006 is indeed never a mistake and my current LR rifle is 3006. That said, it does not have a muzzle brake and its kicking me darn hard...bruised shoulder every weekend.
3006 nickname should be "mule"...yep, usually is snappy on the recoil. Have you try to put slip on de accelerator pad? That usually does it for me. You won't even feel shooting it.

·
Gold Bullet member
8,513 Posts
I reload 30-06 to US milspec for my M1, 03 and 03-A3. My Hornady reloading manual has a separate chapter for 30-06 service rifle. I once loaded some rounds to data in the other 30-06 chapter and shot them in my 03. Even wearing my USMC padded shooting jacket I was battered by the recoil and my shoulder ached.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Had my Sako stock cut back about 1" and had a Pachmayer deaccelerator (spelling?) recoil pad installed. Now fits extremely well. Have about 1100 rounds through it. All handloads except for about 100 rds LC 1963 M72 match. IMR 4350 54.5 to 55.5 grs, Federal brass,CCI 250 magnum primer. Reason for the 1 grain weight is sometimes I shoot the 168 grSMK or the 165 Nosler ballistic tip. Thinking of getting one of the case annealing machines as I have about 500 virgin LC 1967 M72 cases. And since I don't hunt anymore (mobility issues) cast bullets with the M72 brass seems a good thing. My stint at high power shooting didn't last as I worked rotating shifts around the clock. But I have a post '64 model 70 match rifle with a excellent to mint bore. Soons as it cools off here in Louisiana will be casting bullets for my Moisins, Sako and M70. Gotta do something to keep the brain cells working. Had a post 64 M70 in 375 H&H that puppy really rattled me. More fun than one should have, but in the end it went down the road. Wish you well with your shooting and coming gunsmithing work. Frank

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Milprileb, this is my .30-'06 Government launcher. You seen it before, it cleaned the 300 yard stage of the QVSM 150 12x it's first time out. Random Guy, you'll remember it having a Redfield 3-9×. It was made just down the road from the range by one our friends...
Bicycle part Auto part Wood Gun accessory Metal

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
My 308 VS with 43.5 grains of Varget and the 175 Sierras loaded in Winchester brass struggle at 1000 to stay supersonic, and for that rifle it's close to a max charge. On the other hand my 24 inch 5.56 flattop will do that with ease with either the 75 or 80 Amax. I'm by no means an experienced 1000 yard shooter, dabbled a little in it when I lived in AZ and when we could still shoot at Ft Gordon. My 7mm Sendero with a 162 Amax also made it easy. I shot 600 a lot that gave me some experience in wind reading, at 1000 a little change can easily take you out of the black or worse.

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Hagar,

I have similiar feelings about 308 Win and my Varget charge is at max with 178 Bthp Hornady bullets at 1000 yds . THe rifle has 24" barrel and I'll re barrel it with a 26" barrel in hopes of salvaging the rifle over considering it a total loss. Its a short action Tikka T3 and I love the action and quality but right now, its on life support and struggles to shoot credibly at 1000 yds. Being a short action, not much hope for it if 308 totally flops, maybe re barrel to 6.5 Creedmoor .

I can hold 10 to 15 inch groups (on average **) at 1000 yds with my Rock River M16A4 Nat. Match rifle with 80 gr hand loads on an absolutely windless day, otherwise, I am not taking the rifle out of the case on 1000 yd line.

** I have had on occasion smaller groups but so infrequent its not something I can hang my hat on. I suspect its 20" barrel in a perfect moment does that but I think a 24" barrel would bring the rifle into credible 1000 yd performance. To accurately frame the rifles accuracy , I can kill watermelons consistently at 1000 yds..8 or 10 times winds allowing and my reading mirage half decent.

A bolt action 556 rifle, 26" barrel might be the 1000 yd ticket . Someone has done it I am sure.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts