Gunboards Forums banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
A bit of an update. I'm still waiting for most of the hardware to ship,but I did get a forend about a week ago. Unfortunately this introduces new problems to the project. The draws have been repaired in the past but unfortunately they are already too loose and there is a lot of side play in the back. Also the front retaining screw collar is so loose that it falls out without interference. As far as I can tell this leaves me with two options the first option is the easiest by just beding it with Acraglas. The second option is harder but much more satisfying in the end and is what I'm currently planning to do. I intend to carefully remove the draws and replace them.
IMG_20210205_175410138.jpg
IMG_20210205_175418110.jpg
IMG_20210205_175358332.jpg
IMG_20210205_175406801.jpg

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
For the screw bushing, if the hole is enlarged due to shrinkage and not oblonged, its an easy fix. Treat the area with 50/50 BLO and turpentine. The wood should come back to life. If still a little loose, then a wrap or two of Teflon tape should make up the difference.

Photos are too dark and lacking detail showing the draws. Can't tell if they need work or just a little "adjusting". What you don't need right now are imaginative guesses.

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
I see some compression but no rot or breakage. Have you checked with a probe to see if the grain is still tight?
You might be able to get away with some minor shimming.

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
The draws have been replaced once already and what's there isn't too bad.
If it were mine id be contemplating a 'trim and shim' or a light 'scrape and bedding'. Keep the repair small. Glopping crap all over is counter productive.
Personally (from the pics) I see no need for anything extravagant at this point in time. Should anything start to give up the ghost again, there won't be much to undo for more work later. Why open that can of worms today?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
The draws have been replaced once already and what's there isn't too bad.
If it were mine id be contemplating a 'trim and shim' or a light 'scrape and bedding'. Keep the repair small. Glopping crap all over is counter productive.
Personally (from the pics) I see no need for anything extravagant at this point in time. Should anything start to give up the ghost again, there won't be much to undo for more work later. Why open that can of worms today?
Bedding would definitely be the easiest and most likely way to work out. Would I be correct in assuming that cutting out the draw repairs and replacing them would be more period correct. I have some approximately 15-year-old Walnut that I could make the new draws from. I'm a glutton for punishment so I'd be down to give it my best shot.

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
Your call. I will say that a small amount of bedding will give you the correct angle on the draws.
if you’re up to a project as a baptism under fire, replacing the wood is your best bet at an education.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts