Gunboards Forums banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
You might check out Century Arms. They seem to have a lot of the little metal bits. I've gotten band screws from them before.
WOW you were right. The only thing they didn't have was a forend and a handguard retaining ring. Best part was that they were way cheaper and I was able to specify LB parts.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
I have a worn Long branch walnut forend, with repaired draws and barrel reinforce seat, along with two handguards (UK), might even have a spare front band, will take a look. colors are not a bad match, though to get an exact match you will need to stain them. I will sell the set to you for 100, plus shipping. PM me and will send you pictures if interested.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Good luck in your restoration, I am the same as you and many others here where I feel a moral obligation to restore sporters even though it is usually a waste of time and money, lol. I restored my No4 using mostly ebay parts and parts from individuals here. Post a WTB add in the trader. You're already further along then when I started with my sporter, it can be done! The hardest part to find as you're already aware is the forend, but they do pop up on ebay from time to time. Be aware that any forends with a screw through the side of them are from Indian Ishapore rifles. I would try to find walnut bits to match your buttstock, or an entire beech set. Buttstocks are cheap and easy to find, as are the handguards. The good news is, that like my rifle, since it has already been FTR'd then anything goes really as far as the parts go, since it was already rebuilt once with whatever parts were available. Unsporterizing it will just be like a post-service FTR, lol. Brpguns.com is a good site to check also.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I have a worn Long branch walnut forend, with repaired draws and barrel reinforce seat, along with two handguards (UK), might even have a spare front band, will take a look. colors are not a bad match, though to get an exact match you will need to stain them. I will sell the set to you for 100, plus shipping. PM me and will send you pictures if interested.
I can't PM probably because I'm new on here.
[email protected]

·
Registered
9,486 Posts
My original plan was to replace all the wood, seeing as the stock doesn't match the rifle, and fit the old parts to an ishapore that Bubba got his hands on.
As noted, a No.4 stock will not fit a No.1 rifle (or MkIII as we generally call them).

Also, take Fritz up on his offer, it's a sweetheart of a deal & Fritz is a great guy!

Now, back up & tell me more about this Ishapore you speak of............

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
As noted, a No.4 stock will not fit a No.1 rifle (or MkIII as we generally call them).

Also, take Fritz up on his offer, it's a sweetheart of a deal & Fritz is a great guy!

Now, back up & tell me more about this Ishapore you speak of............
Bubba got ahold of this one really good. I've already started working on it and plan on doing a whole separate thread on it when it's done.
IMG_20210124_011839903.jpg

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
Front sight removed or has the barrel been trimmed back?
If the barrel has been trimmed back to hide evidence of once having a front sight, restoration is a no go unless you rebarrel. Or you could Bubba up a perfectly good forend and handguard for no good reason other than to throw money away.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Front sight removed or has the barrel been trimmed back?
If the barrel has been trimmed back to hide evidence of once having a front sight, restoration is a no go unless you rebarrel. Or you could Bubba up a perfectly good forend and handguard for no good reason other than to throw money away.
Just removed, but it's not worth the time and money to restore.

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
Just removed, but it's not worth the time and money to restore.
OK got it :)
Just so you're aware, sporterizing as a topic isn't really allowed on this forum. Its a collector focused board and thats why so many of us participate here. I would hate to see you put time and effort towards a step by step thread only to have it locked or possibly deleted.
On the other hand, showing us before and after is appreciated by many. So long as it's within the realm of keeping a Lee Enfield out of the scrap pile. Do you get the gist of that? Hope so. Looking forward to seeing the final product.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Just so you're aware, sporterizing as a topic isn't really allowed on this forum. Its a collector focused board a
Thanks for the heads up I'll keep it in mind. I hate it when people sportarize these rifles but sometimes they take it too far and all you can do is make it a little better. In this instance I need to clearance the scope mount so the bolt doesn't bind on it, put a original stock on it, and convert the old (already chopped up) no 4 forend to fit it.

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
Thanks for the heads up I'll keep it in mind. I hate it when people sportarize these rifles but sometimes they take it too far and all you can do is make it a little better. In this instance I need to clearance the scope mount so the bolt doesn't bind on it, put a original stock on it, and convert the old (already chopped up) no 4 forend to fit it.
No4 forend? Glancing at the pic it looks like a No1 action to me. The mag says 7.62.
Are you and I discussing the same rifle?
I understood you to be referring to the synthetic stocked rifle as being your next project.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
No4 forend? Glancing at the pic it looks like a No1 action to me. The mag says 7.62.
Are you and I discussing the same rifle?
I understood you to be referring to the synthetic stocked rifle as being your next project.
Yes we're talking about the same rifle it is a no1 action but with a little bit of work I was able to fit the no4 handguard to it.
IMG_20210123_204055361.jpg

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
OK but you see how it fits upside down? Probably due to the different barrels clocking 180 degrees off from one a other. LOL

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Just a quick update, thanks to Fritz, who I am extremely grateful to, I have been able to source most of the parts I need, most importantly a forend. The rest of the parts I can get from century arms. Unfortunately this may be easier said than done, I placed an order with them but have not been charged and I haven't received so much as a confirmation email from them. When I called their customer service number it hangs up on you, and when you email them you get cookie cutter responses that don't answer your questions. Otherwise I'll update more once I collect all the parts and being fitting it all together.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Century takes a long time on parts orders. they always come through, but I think they do these orders as they have time, it is a secondary part of their business.

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
Patience Grasshopper. Patience. For the past few months I too have had a myriad of problems, along with unbelievable expedited processing and shipping.
Covid. Shutdowns and slowdowns depending upon regional restrictions.

I've been unable to contact Otter box for months concerning something low priority. Have experienced delays in processing and/or stalls in transit. Depends on where the employees are staying home and who might be experiencing overwhelming demands as a result.
Had a parcel go from Illinois to the UK in a matter of days. The return parcel might be hiding in Borg space for all I know.

Then there is what Fritz pointed out. Some outfits back up the orders until there is a sizable shipment, or only ship once per week. I think BRP does that.
If office staff is low on manpower, automated responses will be the norm.

·
Premium Member
11,286 Posts
My last parts order from Century took over a week for confirmation.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 88 Posts