Gunboards Forums banner

21 - 40 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Sarco has a nice selection of Enfield parts. I bounce between Sarco and Apex. I have restored 4 Enfielda and 2 P14s. I watch the on line auctions and am ahead on prices lately.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I haven't checked recently but I recall seeing reasonably priced stocks for your rifle at local gun shows. I always check ebay, sometimes you can get lucky. Patience is key to not blow the bank.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
55,140 Posts
Don't forget to check eBay for gun parts too. I have found some really hard to find parts there.
and ebay uk as well,

btw, if that is Suncorite , it was not applied to unfinished metal, the 'base layer' was either blued or parkerized, depending on the era\FTR\etc

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
Also, "Psychobilly Cadillac", kick-ass handle, just wanted to throw that out there. Hell yeah!

·
Premium Member
11,286 Posts
Also be aware that many parts surviving on your rifle are not Longbranch parts, including the bolt, barrel, safety and rear sight are not Longbranch parts. A British fore end and furniture would be perfectly proper on your rifle.

I'd restore it to 'military dress' and spend the saved money on ammo.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Also be aware that many parts surviving on your rifle are not Longbranch parts, including the bolt, barrel, safety and rear sight are not Longbranch parts. A British fore end and furniture would be perfectly proper on your rifle.
Please expound on this. Are you saying someone faked the matching serial numbers?

·
Premium Member
11,286 Posts
No. It went through an FTR. The Arsenal fitted the new bolt and numbered it to match. For your rifle, a 1944 Longbranch bolt would have a milled flat on the bolt knob. The safety would be the fishtail style and LB marked. The magazine would be the folded type with the obvious seam on the bottom and un numbered.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
As Hal said it is a perfectly FTRd military rifle minus the BUBBA take off bits. Just add the parts as required and keep shooting it. FTRd rifles are a class in themselves and tell a real story.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Please expound on this. Are you saying someone faked the matching serial numbers?
There are collectors in whose eyes the only 'correct' rifle is one whose every part (down to the last screw) are marked with the date, the rifle serial number, the name of the factory that manufactured it, and the name of the worker manufacturing the part (these mainly tend to be collectors of Garands)
On the other hand, there are those collectors that accept that a rifle that has been there are 'done it' will have had a hard life and will have visited the 'Doctor' a few times.
Armourers will not tend to be concerned about a collector in 70 years times looking to make sure the colour and grain of the wood on the handguard matched the Butt, or that the rear sight leaf is manufactured by the same factory on the same day as the rifle action. Their job was to get the next suitable part out of the 'bin' and get the rifle back out into the field to do what it was designed to do.

A rifle with CORECTLY replaced and fitted parts, by a military Armourer, is still 'all original' (as it was in service)

I guess you need to decide if you want to collect / shoot 'as it left the factory', as it 'left service', or, as a 'civilian rebuilt' it using the best parts they can find.
Lee Enfields will almost always be 'bitsas' in one way or another.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've had the pleasure of restoring several Long Branch No.4's. Mind you, this was back in the day when parts and even the walnut stocks were much easier to find than today. My last restoration took almost a year because of the difficulty in finding LB parts. I admit to a soft spot for Long Branch made arms, living as I do not too far from the old arsenal lands. Given how scarce and pricey parts have become, I wouldn't have either the budget or inclination to take on a project rifle again. I'd picked up a LB No.4 for cheap at an auction, complete with a Parker Hale 5C target sight, that had been set up for competition (this was way back in the day), and between gun shows and the Canadiangunnutz site, I found everything I needed. Here's before and after pics. I had the regular battle sight but opted to keep the target sight on the rifle. When I sold it, I included both sights. Kicking my butt now, given the price of good No.4's and especially Long Branch.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
Lawrence I most certainly understand. My days of putting rifles back to normal are behind me too. Very similar reasons although a difference in a few details.
Finding LB parts cheap was never much of a problem for me in the lower 48. Savage parts were the problem. I once finished a Savage using an LB sight protector for lack of an S stamped one. Just to get it off the workbench and out to the range.
That one turned into a story better told at a different time. A tale of fine members of our LE community and one who was king of....a particular oriface.

A few times I took Bubbas hack job and finished what he started. Made them at least look like a commercial endeavor instead of a dimly lit basement economy project. I kept one for myself for a number of years as a deer rifle.
Surprisingly, when I decided to move on, those sporters sold at a fair price in just a few hours.
Rifles were reasonably priced, parts were mostly readily available at very affordable prices, and sticker shock was an exception instead of the rule. The cost of restoration or recovery fell within the parameters of the current going rate. A lot of fun without having to dip into the household budget. sigh

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
My original plan was to replace all the wood, seeing as the stock doesn't match the rifle, and fit the old parts to an ishapore that Bubba got his hands on. After listening to what you all have been saying I have changed my plans. I don't have everything worked out yet but for now I can order all of the hardware and the two handguards from liberty tree which will bring the total cost counting the rifle to $327. What I still need after that is the screw for the front band and a fore end. Are the screws the same for both bands or are they different? Also beach stocks are more readily available, so would it be a Bubba thing to use a beach stock and use either dark stain or a darker oil to make it somewhat match?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
My original plan was to replace all the wood, seeing as the stock doesn't match the rifle, and fit the old parts to an ishapore that Bubba got his hands on.

No4 parts are not interchangable with No1 Mk3 parts so your original plan could never have happened.

Plan B is far better !

·
Registered
242 Posts
You might check out Century Arms. They seem to have a lot of the little metal bits. I've gotten band screws from them before.

21 - 40 of 88 Posts