Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone
This is my first post here, so please go easy on me if I'm in the wrong place. I'm trying to return my Lee Enfield back to original military configuration. Unfortunately the last owner sporterized it and painted it with what I hope is spray paint and not some type of bake on paint. The rifle is from 1943 with the serial number 38L8174. All of the metal parts that are serialized are matching. The stock has what I believe is 1256 stamped on it, so I don't think it is original. What I'm hoping you all can help me with is identifying everything I need for this project. Other than the two bands is there any other hardware that I need. Do I need to go with a grooved hand guard or a smooth one. Any help y'all could give me would be greatly appreciated. More photos in the next post.
IMG_20210122_122314508.jpg
IMG_20210121_141237815.jpg
IMG_20210121_141336904.jpg
IMG_20210121_141434270.jpg
IMG_20210121_141658065.jpg
IMG_20210121_141621092.jpg
IMG_20210121_141531340.jpg
IMG_20210121_141428449.jpg
IMG_20210121_141408304.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
17,649 Posts
are you sure the paint is not original? they used a type of paint called suncorite.

Also long branch would be a grooved upper handguard.

Here is my '44 long branch for comparison so you get an idea how its supposed to look.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know. You probably know more than I do. I figured it would be blued like most rifles from that period. It's a bit gunked up in places which I guess would be normal in a mass production situation.
IMG_20210122_130129909~2.jpg

·
Registered
17,649 Posts
No Great Britain / commonwealth did not blue No4 mrk1s they painted them. I would remain on the side of caution and leave the metal finish alone. Feel free to restore the stock and hard ware.

To identify missing parts take a look here:

Also i suggest factoring in the cost of rescue stock parts are not cheap and its a great likelyhood they will not match your butt stock. Depending on how much you already have in the rifle often times its best to leave it as it is and use the money to purchase a unmolested rifle. But thats your decision and your pocket book, but just be aware at the end of the day it will be always a rescue.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Here is a parts list for a No4, anything that you don't have you will need to rebuild it back to the mil-spec.

No4 Parts List.jpg

Reactions: SDigger

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Just so you are aware, parts fitting on Lee Enfields are not 'plug & play' the forend in particular will need FITTING (fitting means work being done, wood shaved off, wood added etc) not just 'bolting on'.
If you decide to go ahead, and are confident in your woodworking skills, we can post the detailed instructions for you.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,281 Posts
Just as Spax said. Very possibly it is refurbished with suncorite which is what the Brits used. It is stamped with FTR which means it went through a refurbishment.

Complete stocks etc are available on line but they are spendy as are the other parts needed. If you proceed that way, which unfortunately for me I have done in the past just for the love of doing it, you will have some money in it. On the other hand, sometimes those are the ones that we really like best. If you are looking at it as something you want to own, enjoy and shoot, go for it. If you are concerned about getting your money back out of it, as an investment or something, then you probably should go in a different direction. However before you do anything take it out and shoot it to make sure it functions fine.

Your butt stock looks to be walnut so you are good to go with that component. LIberty Tree collectors has walnut Lee Enfield wood. Hang onto your hat when you see the price of a walnut forend. But, if it makes you happy and you can afford it, do it. We all are going to get zillions in biden bucks here pretty soon anyhow. ;)

Reactions: Spaxspore

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I currently have under $200 tied up in the rifle right now and I just checked my shopping cart at liberty tree and I'm at $400 already. I could shave that down a little bit, but I'm looking at having to mix and match wood. They only have Beach forends but the only grooved handguards they have are Walnut.

·
Registered
17,649 Posts
Unfortunately liberty tree doesn't have walnut forends right now.
You most likely will have to do some shopping and pieace it together from multiple sources. A clean no4 mrk 1 can be had all day for 500-600 also these were matched to the forend as well.

·
Registered
18,149 Posts
Check APEX gun parts as well as BRP corporation for hand guards & parts and bounce prices vs. Liberty Tree.

I have seen Long Branch No.4's with and without groove hand guard. I don't think a plain walnut one will crash the party here.. I'd leave the finish alone You need a new entire fore end which won't be cheap. Thank you for listing what you have into the rifle..$200 and what your parts to restore cost up to this date ...$400. You are very much in a money pit already which has been a subject flogged to many here about such "Projects". I wish you luck completing this rifle and hope you score some wood parts.

Just to note, a mint Long Branch fore end is $200 and I have one guy already interested in it. PM and I'll send photos. If you can find one cheaper...don't hesitate !

·
Registered
17,649 Posts
when i first started i tried to restore a 1903 A3 - it was a massive money pit but a very useful lesson of what not to do and when to pull out. Some times when the numbers dont add up its best to cut it off and sell it and get something you want.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I want to thank everyone for their input. For the time being I'm going to shop around and see if I can find all the proper matching parts. I'm relatively confident in my woodworking skills so I would greatly appreciate any information you can give me on properly fitting the forend.

·
Registered
18,149 Posts
Oh yeah... fitting a fore end is not a plug and play . Good on you to be aware of that aspect. As an example, it took me a week of evenings to fit a new forend properly to a No.4Mk2. Went slow and sure and range results were sub MOA accuracy at 100 yds. Hand fitting is what happened back in the day these rifles were made and they were darn good doing it.

·
Registered
18,149 Posts
milprileb I'm definitely interested in that forend. How do I pm on here?
When you register on Gun Boards, you have the option to receive PM 's and / or Emails .
Go back in your account and pull the switches. Beyond parts, the PM & Emails allow
you to direct questions to some really talented people like Alan , JB , Dog. Limpetmine and others..Through
a series of PM's , Limpetmine sorted me out on some things that had me upside down regarding markings
on one of my rifles. Being able to direct my questions to a expert was invaluable.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When you register on Gun Boards, you have the option to receive PM 's and / or Emails .
Go back in your account and pull the switches. Beyond parts, the PM & Emails allow
you to direct questions to some really talented people like Alan , JB , Dog. Limpetmine and others..Through
a series of PM's , Limpetmine sorted me out on some things that had me upside down regarding markings
on one of my rifles. Being able to direct my questions to a expert was invaluable.
I can't find it do I have to be a premium member?

1 - 20 of 88 Posts