Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have been out of buying Enfields for years, always felt price increase was ridiculous. Well my brother bought one for less than 200 a year and a half ago and I don't have one anymore. So I traded him a pair of German officers high top boots for it (I have plenty of boots). I don't know much about this one other than it looks to have been painted black and the stock replaced, it has zero handling marks on it. Would this have been an FTR gun? Or did someone just give it a new stock and a paint job ( my guess is the latter)? the magazine matches the rifle as well but the buttplate is a hack job from an SMLE. It seems much ..... well lets say more cheaply made than the other long branch and Savage guns I had before.

Attachments

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
additional pic of the stock. there is a star on the top of the receiver bridge.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,220 Posts
NOT a Lithgow (your tagline for the thread). They didn't make No.4's.

I figure you meant Long Branch (Canada) , which is the receiver marking in the third picture.

It is hard to tell from pictures, but since the paint is undisturbed over a couple of bunged-up screws, it is a pretty safe bet that the receiver (or parts of it) had been either repainted, or touched up, at some point. The paint on the rear sight ladder (not the eyepiece) appears to have been done correctly, though.

With original Long Branch wood, I am used to seeing the 'arrow in a C' behind the trigger guard in your sixth picture. there should also be one behind the nosecap on the forend, but you didn't include a shot of this area. Wood is quite likely replaced. You do have one of the long buttstocks, which many shooters would find desirable.

Where exactly is this star? If it is on the charger bridge, I have no idea what it might be. If it is on the 'receiver ring', it could indicate that inspectors had found corrosion in the barrel at some point.

All in all, from the pictures, it appears to be a pretty decent rifle. Correct buttplates shouldn't be all that hard to locate.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Oh sweet god, I meant Long Branch. I have been collecting Lithgow No 1 Mk 3's my whole life. I went on auto pilot. I'm embarrassed. can I change the header somehow? I feel six inches tall. Please don't think of me as too much of an idiot.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are pictures over the receiver and just below the front band.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,220 Posts
Oh sweet god, I meant Long Branch. I have been collecting lithgow No 1 Mk 3's since I was 8 when I got my first one. I went on auto pilot. I'm embarrassed. can I change the header somehow? I feel six inches tall. Please don't think of me as too much of an idiot.
Brain fart. We all get them.

I have seen the headers edited in the past. Only the OP (and probably moderators) can do it, but it shouldn't be THAT hard.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brain fart. We all get them.

I have seen the headers edited in the past. Only the OP (and probably moderators) can do it, but it shouldn't be THAT hard.
If I can figure out how to edit it I will.
I sent some additional pictures of the receiver and underneath the front barrel band.

·
Registered
13,220 Posts
The five pointed star that looks like a Wal Mart logo is the 'rust in the barrel' designator. I have no Idea what the 'american flag' shaped star means.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh great a Walmart gun....

·
Registered
10,220 Posts
The stock is British, so it's had some work done somewhere by someone. The paint is definitely not suncorite, but may be Indian, can't really tell in just one type of light.

Does the bolt match?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The stock is British, so it's had some work done somewhere by someone. The paint is definitely not suncorite, but may be Indian, can't really tell in just one type of light.

Does the bolt match?
There is a British Proof on the side of the bolt head with an "F" above the proof. There is a number 2 on the top of the bolt head. The bolt is otherwise unmarked.

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
seems to have been "creatively restored" to me.
The star means there was once "Rust in Bore Or Chamber", but it may have been fixed or replaced.
Is there an "FTR" stamp anywhere?

Reactions: DisasterDog

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
seems to have been "creatively restored" to me.
The star means there was once "Rust in Bore Or Chamber", but it may have been fixed or replaced.
Is there an "FTR" stamp anywhere?
I looked and there are zero FTR marks. The barrel has several small stamps, a proof mark and 44 date.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since it seems to have been "creatively restored" as has been suggested, should I finish it to the proper suncorite?

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
I'm not sure how that is possible?
Suncorite is a (still functioning) company.
But the particular product which as a number (as do most Suncorite products)
Is now a "Known Carcinogen in the state of blah...blah...blah."
I gather its still available in 55 gallon drums to "Licensed places"
But not to Joe public.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not sure how that is possible?
Suncorite is a (still functioning) company.
But the particular product which as a number (as do most Suncorite products)
Is now a "Known Carcinogen in the state of blah...blah...blah."
I gather its still available in 55 gallon drums to "Licensed places"
But not to Joe public.
What I meant was should I have the gun refinished to the proper color and texture of Suncorite.

·
Registered
222 Posts
British forestock wood and Singer sight and no FTR. Maybe a restored sporter? I've restored several Long Branch No.4's over the years and even up here in Canada, proper Long Branch parts are now scarce as all get out. If you can find 'em, the costs are crazy. Here's a pic of one I restored before and after. I debated about keeping the PH5C sight on the rifle or replacing it with the correct Mk.II slider. I decided to keep the target sight on it and sell it with the flip sight that was correct to the year. I kick myself now for letting it go.
Wood Vehicle Automotive exterior Plant Metal
Product Textile Wood Automotive tire Tree

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
British forestock wood and Singer sight and no FTR. Maybe a restored sporter? I've restored several Long Branch No.4's over the years and even up here in Canada, proper Long Branch parts are now scarce as all get out. If you can find 'em, the costs are crazy. Here's a pic of one I restored before and after. I debated about keeping the PH5C sight on the rifle or replacing it with the correct Mk.II slider. I decided to keep the target sight on it and sell it with the flip sight that was correct to the year. I kick myself now for letting it go.
Could you expand a bit please? The sight is a Singer, should it be different?

the gun seems to be matching, even the Mag matches. might be worth making it right.

The mag matches the gun and I noticed the front stock band (not the front barrel band) is marked CE1967 and a barrel marking is stamped 67. Is that just a coincidence?

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
The Long Branch Singer sights had a relatively short life. Too expensive and time consuming to manufacture but if you can find one today you're looking at $100.+ for one with the "LB" stamp. I can't see the letter at the top on yours in the pic, but if it's "F" it's Fazakerly, or "B" I believe to be BSA. Also on the Long Branch Singer sights had a smaller peep aperture than the British ones. I believe your '44 should have Mk.II or III sliding sight. IIRC, the unpopular "300-600" flip sight had been replaced by that point. You have a black walnut buttstock and birch fore end wood. The Canadian wood in '44 would probably have either the "LB" or C-Broad Arrow stamp.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts