Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two Long Branch bayonets one has a serial number and the LB marking is above the No 4MKll. The other does not have a serial number and the LB marking is under the No 4MKll. Can anyone tell anything about them? Which is older? Which is rarer? I just bought a Long Branch 1943 MK l* Rilfle for my brother at an auction I paid $227.27 total it is in excellent condition. I was wondering which would be a better match for this rifle. Any help would be appreciated. Both bayonets are in excellent condition. Thanks Jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No4 made at time of Korean war, shows the CA mark of the Canadian Arsenal manufacturer. I also have a couple of singers and one is dated 1943 but I still have no idea which bayonet would have been used with the Long Branch No 4 MK I 1943 rifle.

·
8,105 Posts
Any No.4 bayonet by any maker would be completely correct for the Long Branch, though the intertwined "LB" marked bayonet would be, by collectors who insist on "matching" examples, most appropriate. The "LB" marked examples were made from the beginning to nearly the end of production. The last of the No.4 bayonets manufactured in Canada were, as you said iamjim, marked "CA".

As far as the location of the "LB"? They varied, there seems to be no rhyme or reason.

·
8,105 Posts
The "serial numbers" are probably accountability numbers stamped by the unit issuing the bayonet to signify the individual soldier to whom it was issued. They may be Canadian or British or be stamped by individual units in any of the countries that may have used the No.4 rifle. There is no way to date your bayonet other than that it was made sometime before ca. 1950. The numbers on a bayonet do not increase the value nor do they decrease it but many collectors may prefer the unnumbered bayonet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought this rifle for my brother and I felt a connection to it. I like the looks of this rifle an I am wanting one for myself. I think the price was a fairly good deal I bought it at a gun auction for a total of $227.27 and it is in very good condition. I've look at on line auctions and they seem to be $400 and higher an not as nice. Was this a good price and is it still possible to get them for around $200 or is $400 or more an accurate price? Thanks for the previous info

1 - 12 of 12 Posts