Gunboards Forums banner

Long Branch dilemma - pictures posted

2K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  LB_No.4_MK1* 
#1 · (Edited)
Here's the deal...

The Good: Excellent 1944 Long Branch, not FTR'd. Matching bolt (including alpha-numeric prefix) and mag has last four digits of serial. Bore is a mint two-groove. Has a MkIII sight (which is correct, I think). Bluing is excellent. Still has oily cosmo from import. Very subtle CAI import mark under muzzle tip (old style).

The Bad: Fore-end cut down sporter-style! [:(]

1. What is the most you would pay for such a project assuming that you really want a nice LB specimen to add to a growing L-E collection? Try to put yourself in my shoes: you really want an LB, so think of the max price you would consider a "must buy".

2. Is there a way to determine a proper replacement LB fore-end? Elaborate...

3. Is a grooved rear handguard "proper" for a '44 LB?

#2 ·
LB's

You can expect to pay 80-125 bucks for a set of wood. LB wood is available :) , just have to look for it. :( Skinnerton has information on which woodmakers made wood for these rifles, it is possible to get the correct stuff.
If the metal is nice, and the bore good, as you say, I'd go up to $200.00 on it, if you need it to fill a hole. Be aware, tho, that $300.00 will get you a nice LB from that year; The no FTR is a nice touch. Finding a matching mag is harder, and unusual as well.
Yes, the grooved upper hand guard would be correct AFAIK; So, you are left with a dilemma. What to do? How thick is your wallet? How often do you scroung at gun shows for wood? Do you like projects? Can you beat him down to $125? :D
Just rambling thoughts from a Long Branch collector.

#3 ·
Limpetmine, sorry - could you repeat that? I was distracted by your avatar...

I could probably get it around $150 US...

LB's have a repuation for being quite excellent shooters, right?

I suppose just finding nice wood that matches the buttstock would be fine, too.

#4 ·
If I recall correctly, and that is NOT a given, only post war Long Branch #4 rifles don't have the serial numbered wood. Ergo, if you want a matching Long Branch, and this one is a '44, and chopped, then look elsewhere.

SlimTim

#5 ·
$150 is pushing the envelope if you plan on restoring it unless you get lucky, IMO. You'll have the cost of an intact Limpetmine's Avatar into it by the time you're done. But if the mechanics are all good, it might very well be worth Limpetmine's Avatar.

LB's do have a well deserved reputation of being excellent shooters, as do Savages, Maltbys, BSAs, and Fazakerleys. If Limpetmine's Avatar's in good condition, she'll put holes where you want Limpetmine's Avatar...

Distracted by what?

Where were we?

:D

#7 · (Edited)
Slim Tim, I know what you mean, but it looks like the original forearm wasn't serialized anyway, per the above comment.

Honestly, just a nice close-to-matching forearm and handguards would be fine. That is a far cry more suitable situation for this rifle than to continue in this cut down stock, at risk of being drilled, hacked, and abused at the hands of some Bubba.

It is such a beauty otherwise that I'm very tempted.

Does anyone have a forearm and handguards set that is kind of dark brownish in very good shape?

#8 ·
Go with what Lee Enfield states. What I recall is being concerned with a 1950 Long Branch I owned at one time not having a numbered forestock. When I asked about it, I was told on this forum that post war made Long Branches were a) among the finest #4 rifles made and b) did not have numbered forestocks.

I read and read in Skennerton, but never found it written there, ergo my uncertainty.

SlimTim

#9 ·
Long Branch serialled stocks

When I asked about it, I was told on this forum that post war made Long Branches were a) among the finest #4 rifles made and b) did not have numbered forestocks.
And the postwar proofs are different (CA) instead of arrow-in-C so finding an un-serialled wartime stock may be a bit of a challenge. I put a Canadian numbered forearm on a shooter mismatched BSA and pulled off the original BSA stock to save for a resto.

#12 ·
Okay... update.

I'm pretty sure I can convince the seller to take $100 for the rifle. I could put on a new fore-end and handguards from Sarco and have a sweet rifle, though the buttstock may not match exactly.

Or leave it as is and have a heck of a nice shooter.

#15 ·
After reading this thread I had to dig my '42 LB out of the safe. Serial #5L7365 on the butt socket, bolt and forestock. I suspect that this rifle had undergone a postwar inspection of some sort as the butt socket is stamped '46 above the serial #. Perhaps the stock was numbered then? Barrel is a 2 groove and rear hand guard is grooved. All parts are LB as far as I can tell.
Charlie

#16 ·
Well, I picked up the rifle today. It is quite nice, never been FTR'd. The two-groove crown is quite distinct. There's some oil in the bore, but I'm expecting that a couple passes with the bore-snake will reveal a virtually mint bore. Doesn't look like this rifle saw any service in the field. Too bad bubba killed the fore-end.

There is a mark in the wood under the tang. Circle with up-arrow, with some thing stamped above it.

#18 · (Edited)
These are the regular Longbranch stock marks, they can be found on the bottom of the wrist and on the bottom of the forestock at the bayonet end.
Left to right we have: 1."LB" monogram, 2."C^" Canadian Property Mark, 3.the little ovalish box with a number and another "C^" inside it.
This last mark is struck twice, my other LBs have the little oval only once.
-----krinko

#20 ·
Very nice, and most certainly restorable. Sometimes the best part of these ventures is the search for parts.

Did you get it for $100?

#21 ·
Yes, I was able to get it down to about that much. And fortunately, a fellow forum member is hooking me up with a set of LB wood.

I meant to photo the stock mark under the tang, but it is as one would expect for an LB.

You know what kills me on this? Bubba went through the trouble of hacking, sanding and staining the front end, but he probably never fired it. There is still a thin sheet of cosmo in the battle sight aperture!

I notice that the crown is a bit deeper than other No4's I have, kind of like some Finn M39's. Was this a Long Branch thing they did? Crown is very nice though.

#22 ·
Don't know if the crown was a Canadian thing. Do you have a picture of it? I could compare it to my two Maltbys, both of which have two groove rifling.

#23 ·
Don't have a photo handy, but the bullet picture reveals about half of the visible bullet between the case mouth and lands. Just a more recessed crown.

Did you notice the plastic zip-tie on the muzzle? This is what held the CAI info tag on, and another reason I think it's unfired since import. Oh why couldn't he have just left the rifle alone?!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.