Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just like KY-Mike said...

For those of us who are still in the early stages of learning about Maks, can you tell us more about that event?
I had somewhere between 20-30 Makarovs of various ilks - some military, some commercial. I decided to divest most of the commercial ones and hold onto the military ones. IIRC, I sold off:

(2) Chinese M59's - one each in 9x18 and .380ACP
(2) IJ70-17AS's - one in .380ACP and one that was converted to .32NAA
(1) IJ70-18A
(1) IJ70-18AH
(1) IJ70-17A
(1) IJ70-17AH
(2) Arsenal Bulgarians - one each in 9x18 and .380ACP
(1) Miltex Special Edition - polished chrome 9x18
(1) Simson-Suhl

I kept two commercial Makarovs - an IJ70-18A that has been worked on by Mac's (my very first Makarov; sold to me by none other than SlimTim himself) and my MP-654K (CO2 BB gun). Obviously, the IJ70 has sentimental value, plus it serves as the platform for my Bulgarian .22LR conversion top-end.

Don't worry - I've still got a few PM's laying around in the safe somewhere. ;)

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Thanks!! I like it pretty well. I traded Mac an IJ70-17A that I had acquired on the cheap from one of the auciton sites for all the work he did on the gun. It runs like a top with the Bulgie .22LR conversion.
I too am sentimental about my first Circle 10, given to me from my Uncle in a deal for $50. A board member, TTH, media blasted, parkerized & Duracoated it to make it into, like yours, a respectable looking firearm. I love it!
View attachment 11854

·
Registered
148 Posts
I had somewhere between 20-30 Makarovs of various ilks - some military, some commercial. I decided to divest most of the commercial ones and hold onto the military ones. IIRC, I sold off:

(2) Chinese M59's - one each in 9x18 and .380ACP
(2) IJ70-17AS's - one in .380ACP and one that was converted to .32NAA
(1) IJ70-18A
(1) IJ70-18AH
(1) IJ70-17A
(1) IJ70-17AH
(2) Arsenal Bulgarians - one each in 9x18 and .380ACP
(1) Miltex Special Edition - polished chrome 9x18
(1) Simson-Suhl

I kept two commercial Makarovs - an IJ70-18A that has been worked on by Mac's (my very first Makarov; sold to me by none other than SlimTim himself) and my MP-654K (CO2 BB gun). Obviously, the IJ70 has sentimental value, plus it serves as the platform for my Bulgarian .22LR conversion top-end.

Don't worry - I've still got a few PM's laying around in the safe somewhere. ;)
you sold your Simson-suhl???

·
Administrator
8,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Last440V8!! I should have mentioned you, Winner of an Old Makarma, in the post title.

Why did you change your handle? If you had a problem with password etc. then PM Slim Tim and get it back.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Welcome back, v8!! We had some good times a while ago, huh? In the attached picture, v8 is the tall, skinny guy on the right; I'm the short, fat guy in the middle - though I've lost nearly 30 pounds since that picture was taken. The picture is a sampling of the old CincyMakniks group from the previous forum (L to R) - The Dude, RedLeg, logansdad, The Kid (still a regular over on the AK/SKS forum), and last(no longer 440)v8. The location is the Lloyd WMA public shooting range - a.k.a "Tubesville" due to the shooting lane configurations - just a ways south of Cincinnati in northern KY. Other pics are some of the hardware we used to play around with.

As for the Simson-Suhl, yep, I sold it. Maybe we should tell these new guys about the 100yd Mak contest we had that one time?

Great to see that some of the other old farts are still hanging out here. :D

·
Registered
148 Posts
LD, you want me to tell everyone about the 100yd mak shootout? ok, here goes. LD,. RedBear and myself was at a range about 45 minutes east of Cincinnati at a place called tranquility wildlife area.. after shooting rifles at a 100yds RedBear say lets see who can hit the target with their mak. so we put up new target and shoot 8 rounds at them.LD was using his now Sold Simson-Suhl and was the only one who hit it. we all had alot of fun that day.

let me tell everyone here LD is about as good of man you will ever meet.

Timbo, that would be RedBear.

v8

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you liked that pic, you'll like this one maybe.
Hey, Mike!! You did make a shoot or two, didn't you? That was quite a drive for you as I recall. As usual, we were at "Tubesville" - just shooting the pic from a different angle.

lastv8 = Right back at you!! We all had some great times hopping around the Cincinnati/Northern KY area scavenging and shooting Makarovs and other toys. I remember the 100yd contest day was my first meeting with a M44 Mosin-Nagant. Now, I've got all-matching versions from Russia, Hungary, China (T-53), Poland, and Romania. :D It was tough to leave you guys, as I don't have nearly as much shooting - or nearly as many great people to shoot with - back home here in west TN.

NorthBender said:
LD, if you lost 30 pounds since then you can now walk through a picket fence.
Oh, but I wasn't finished gaining weight in that picture!! :eek:

·
Administrator
8,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Now wait, what's up with the KY-Mike picture. Who's who?

Show me yours and I may show you mine ... I might even start a thread on Who's Who.

On the other hand, a picture of Slim Tim has never been sucessfully developed ...

·
Registered
226 Posts

Show me yours and I may show you mine ... I might even start a thread on Who's Who.

On the other hand, a picture of Slim Tim has never been sucessfully developed ...
I can only give you the five on the right - RedBear, me, KY-Mike, The Dude, and RedLeg. I can't recall who the young lads on the left are.

As for SlimTim, I know for a fact that he exists. I spotted him one day while I was out hunting rabid armadillo in the foothills outside Chattanooga. If memory serves, he was a beastly man, covered in fur, smelling of burned gunpowder, wearing a revunooer's badge, lurching about and snarling while in search of a Chinese military Makarov pistol. :D Kind of like Bigfoot - only...bigger.

·
Administrator
8,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
As for SlimTim, I know for a fact that he exists. I spotted him one day while I was out hunting rabid armadillo in the foothills outside Chattanooga. If memory serves, he was a beastly man, covered in fur, smelling of burned gunpowder, wearing a revunooer's badge, lurching about and snarling while in search of a Chinese military Makarov pistol. :D Kind of like Bigfoot - only...bigger.
Well, Hey! Looking back on my Dim Memory I may have met Slim Tim up here in the Pacific Northwest back when I was logging old growth! (That's right, I cut down the Ancient Forest, if you have a problem with that call me because I did it).

But one day, deep in the forest, this man walked out with a Mosin Nagant, looking for a cheese sandwich and some 7.62X54r ... I know the man is a legend ... but ...

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Don't remember names, but I do remember they guy on the far left drove all the way from Louisville. I drove 75 miles, but I think he beat me in distance traveled.

The guy standing next to LD is from Cincinnati, but I can't recall names. What's it been, 4-5 years???

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.