Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hypothetical future conundrum. You are a former C&R licensee who's license expired a few years ago. You have moved to a new state and are considering re-applying for a C&R license. How does one account for their old collection? Do you account for your prior C&R purchases under the new license?

· Gold Bullet Member
3,320 Posts
Nothing to account for. Your new C&R will only cover C&R firearms that you acquire or dispose of while holding that license. Anything acquired or disposed of before or after the life of that license does not need to be logged or accounted for to anyone.

· Mr. Flashy Pants
7,372 Posts
A clarification. Any C&R firearms acquired prior to holding an 03FFL, whether under a previous 03FFL or no FFL at all, that are disposed of while holding an 03FFL must be logged out in the bound book. They are simply logged in as "acquired prior to license" at the same time they are logged out. If they are not disposed of they don't need to be logged in at all.

· Silver Bullet member
1,602 Posts
Kind of a gray area.

(e) Records of dealers and collectors
under the Act. The records prepared
by licensed dealers and licensed collectors
under the Act of the sale or other disposition
of firearms and the corresponding
record of receipt of such firearms shall be
retained through December 15, 1988, after
which records of transactions over 20
years of age may be discarded.
If I let mine expire, I think I'll keep mine around. My reasoning is if I renew in a couple years they may ask about the records of the former license.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I am not sure IF I will get a new C&R as the inventory is rather bland and I will be unable to control impulse buying for the sake of buying. Wait a minute, that IS a pretty good reason. :D:D From what I am reading here, I wish I had really stocked up more 7 years ago. The FR8s and MAS 49/56s are all but extinct on the market now as are the cheap unissued Yugo Mausers and SKS. The Nagants have come a long way too.

· Mr. Flashy Pants
7,372 Posts
Kind of a gray area.

If I let mine expire, I think I'll keep mine around. My reasoning is if I renew in a couple years they may ask about the records of the former license.
Once you let your 03FFL expire you are no longer a license holder and that doesn't apply to you. It doesn't apply to 01FFLs who surrender their license either as they send their records to the ATF. In short, the requirements of the license cannot extend beyond the time that you hold the license.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.